transmission does not engage when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission does not engage when cold

jaimej11

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4dr
the transmission on my 93 explorer at times does not engage when i put it in gear the car will sit and then it engages and the car starts to move
this happens when the car is cold and the problem disappears once the engine and tranny are at normal operating temperature any feedback will be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a symptom of low fluid, or a clogged filter. When the trans fluid is cold, its thick, as it warms up it expands and flows easier. Start by checking your fluid level and color, should be a red color, if its brown, you burnt the fluid somehow and should consider a flush/fill

Mine did the exact same thing! I would check the fluid and it would be a little low so I would add some and it would help alot and sometimes even make it go away for a while but a week or two later it would start doing it again....

I replaced the Vacuum Modulator on the tranny and haven't had a problem since! do a search on here to find out how exactly to test it because I don't remember how to do it. I think you just check the vacuum line that comes off of it and if it has fluid in it, its bad. The trans shop here only charged me $80 to do it for me so its not too bad!

To check it as Shaggy said pull the vac line and check for tranny fluid in it. one last thing you can also do is take a hand vac pump and hook it to the trannys vac line .Pull 20" of vac and see if it holds for say 5 minutes if it will not hold vac then its no good as the diaphragm is shot same as if there is oil in the line .

To change it out if that’s what it is it is easier to pull back the carpet in side and on the tranny hump there is a removable panel remove it and you will have easy access to the modulator on the tranny, lots easier then going at it from under the truck.

thanks for the info I check the modulator and go from there

Back