• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Drain Plug Kit

Jet Ski Puller

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac 4.6
Anyone tried one of those transmission pan drain plug kits where you drill a hole in your pan and install the gasket and bolt-like fitting that has a removeable plug . . . making it easier to drain the fluid?

If so, what brand is it, and does it leak?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In most of the chain auto stores (Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys etc) theer is a bubble card assortment of replacement drain plugs for oil. Somewhere in that mix is a replacement kit (photos appear in several threads) that has the entire kit and kaboodle for about $5. I haven't installed mine yet... but it looks ok to me. Iplan to do it.

G is correct, I got mine at Kragens, 5 bux max, dropped the pan at 6K miles, installed the drainplug, re-filled with mercon V, went and had the system flushed and re-filled with Royal purple syn, I drain the pan every 8K miles, about 4 Qts, top off with RP.
Major overkill but do it anyway

spindlecone,

No problems with leaking?

Thanks.

Jet Ski Puller said:
spindlecone,

No problems with leaking?

Thanks.
Not so far, I did use Black RTV on the inner and outer washers, let it harden a few hours before re-assembly of the pan to the tranny

I have one of the B&M ones from Summit. Works great, doesn't actively drip, but there is some dampness on the pan around it.

Agreed, I have done two or three, and the magic is in the Ultra...RTV that you should seal everything with. Tighten the permanent part on the pan very tight, and don't tighten the plug as tight. You want to be sure that the plug loosens, not the permanent fitting. Good luck,
DonW

The RTV is insurance. I like being sure, and not dissappointed. Good luck,
Don

spindlecone..... damn, a little overkill there, ha ???

I just put in the drain plug, I got mine at Napa for $5. I installed it with no silicone and I have no drips or anything. I refilled mine with motorcraft mercon fluid with some lube guard to help it out a bit. I do alot of towing, so I think this is a good measure to take. The weird thing about transmissions is that they can break at low miles with normal maintainence or last forever with zero maintainence.....

My brother has a 92 that went 219k miles on the original transmission with changing the governor twice, mine, with normal maintaining went out at 87k miles..... go figure !

Not sure but I think flushing a high mileage auto tranny is bad news, I too have gotten close to 200K miles without doing a thing but those were G.M. trannys.
Also feel that using Syn in the entire drive train has some perf, benifits.
My be voodoo but I also have always stuck a big honkin magnet on the pan, tranny and engine.

Instead of RTV/silicone, has anyone tried MIG welding the fittings onto the pan? Im just worried cauz i have a disorder where I over-tighten everything and I might unscrew the entire thing intead of just the plug.

Back