transmission, engine or component? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission, engine or component?

threenamer

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 5L V8 AWD
Hi guys,

'98 XLT V8 AWD with a problem that three different places can't ID.

Symptom: Engine feels sluggish and/or tranny feels like it is slipping or not down shifting. The RPMs DO NOT jump under acceleration like a regular clutch failure.

Occurs: When cruising between 50 - 60 MPH and I let off the gas and try to get back on the accelerator OR when I'm doing 40 - 50 MPH and have to accelerate going up a hill.

Ford says they want to put a new tranny in.

The mob guys I bought it from replaced "some wires" and said it's not the tranny. The symptoms are still kind of there, but it still happens in O/D. Before I took it in it grew worse over a few days from O/D down to 3rd. They said drive it 50-100 mi and see what happens. I also had a Check Engine Light after the gas cap fell off a few weeks ago. That went away, but maybe it fried something else?

Another place says thinks it might be a transmission pump.

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the engine rpms do not rise, the trans isn't slipping.
If the engine rpms do not rise when you accelerate hard, the transmission is not downshifting.
Do you get a downshift if you hit the pedal hard?
Is the gas pedal linkage out of adjustment, carpet under the pedal not allowing full acceleration? Check the TPS output, make sure the sweep is clean and you an get full throttle by stepping on the pedal.
Maintenance done? Tune up TCU?

Broken Gas Pedal Bracket

One other thought. The bracket for the gas pedal can break off the firewall and give you similar symptoms. Ford has a TSB on it; happened to mine a couple of years ago.

Thanks guys.

@my98nnj - Yes, it will downshift when you slam on the gas pedal. The problem is when you don't really want to romp on the pedal that hard.

@bobflood - thanks for the tip.

I'll check these things out later today hopefully and let you know what happens.

update

Okay, it's not the gas pedal bracket. The linkages were kinda loose, so I tightened those up. No dice.

The lines to the TPS are clean and play well. The hinge on the throttle feels wonky. Do those go bad? I haven't found my meter yet to test the TPS itself.

The truck is starting to chug when going uphill or when I accelerate. Going to swap the fuel filter this weekend. (Truck has 117k on it. No idea about the filter.)

Getting codes scanned at lunch. I'll list them here, if any.

Okay...after a really long absence, I'm back (with a new acct) to report that all this old gal needed was some regular maintenance. New plugs/wires and a new fuel filter solved all my problems. So I guess the moral of the story is to never believe a Ford dealer. I went back a few months ago to have them read codes on my engine light. They told me I needed to replace all four cats. BS. I swapped out the old battery, wire brushed the collars like mad, and installed the new battery. Guess what? No light. Passed inspection.

Guess you can't trust all guys who work on commission. My trusted repair shop had to close it's doors a while back (though they never really work on my cars, just told me what to fix) so I've learn a lot from this site on Explorer R&R on shade treein'.

Most of us that are on these forums probably know as much if not more than some of the guys that work at the ford dealer...

Most of us that are on these forums probably know as much if not more than some of the guys that work at the ford dealer...

Absolutely. And you're not trying to make any money on here either. Long live the forum!

Back