Transmission exchange from auto to manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission exchange from auto to manual

iwannabamedic

Reaction score
City, State
Central Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer XLS
Hello everyone
I have a 2000 explorer with the 4.0 ohv, auto, XLS model, I have come across a 96 XLT explorer with the 4.0 Ohv 5 speed manual transmission. I am fair sure the transmission will swap and not the transfer case. If any one has any .02 please let me hear or at least read it HA. What I have found out is the 97- 04 explorer will exchange with each other, I'm thinking the transfer case is different, do to the different drive shafts but would the transfer case out of mine bolt up to the manual tranny? then I can use my old drive shafts.
I under stand about the cutting a hole in the floor and the pedal will need to be installed along with the slave cylinder reservoir, i'm needing to know if the tranny will bolt but to everything else or can it be done with the different years?

thanks in advance

WOW
no one has any thoughts, I have found out that the clutch is the same but the fly wheel are different, the transfer case I am pretty sure are not the same due to the 96 has 2HI, 4 HI 4 LO wheel drive option and the 00 has AWD, 4HI and 4 LO options.
Any body have any input to this?
thanks

Pretty sure the trans will work out for you. Your T-case should bolt right up. Search the manual trans swap threads, you will find a lot of members here have done this.

ok thanks

Back