Transmission Failing? Lurches at stoplights, almost hit someone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Failing? Lurches at stoplights, almost hit someone

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
My explorer is starting to worry me, first I started getting a hard down shift from time to time felt like the teuck was going to come out drom underneath you. Now Its frequently doimg this thing where I get to a stop light and with my foot on the break the truck lurches forward, no just a creep, its like it wants to run off. The first two times I thought someone rearended me. Today on the way home from work the firat light was on a slight hill, took my foot off the break and hit the gas and my truck started rolling backwards! I quickly hit the break let the rpms come down and tried again and I drove off like nothing happened, the very next light the truck surged when I was sitting on the break. I am starting to get worried, my wifes car was totaled in july and were still waiting on the settlement to get a second vehicle, this our only transportation. It is a 03 xlt, Ive searched thos issue and I see varying responses but none for the gen 3 series. There seems to be a TSB for the 2006. Yet other say torque coverters or selonoids are the issue. Do I need to get a new transmission? Or is it something cheaper.

Torque converter, solenoid pack, and fluid level are all likely issues. Start by making sure you have not been leaking any fluid.

Torque converter, solenoid pack, and fluid level are all likely issues. Start by making sure you have not been leaking any fluid.

Found the transmission cooler leaking, it has caused the radiator hose to swell up so that has to get replace. Also the transmission is making a sqeaking noise when going into drive. I will get the cooler replaced, get it serviced and see what happens. I still have an idle issue after reppaceing the IAC, and what I thought was a chain noise but my tensioners have been replaced and chain checked at the rear of the engine. Im starting to wonder ifthe noise and Idle are caused by the torque converter.

Im starting to wonder ifthe noise and Idle are caused by the torque converter.

Quite possibly. The torque converters on these tend to get noisy on their own, so add in being starved of fluid and it is likely the source of your noise.

Back