• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Failure

Lala74

Reaction score
City, State
Hendersonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
04, Explorer, Eddie Bauer
Hi y’all! While I have been an avid reader of threads this have never posted. I have a 04 Explorer 4x4 with transmission issues. I noticed what felt like I was losing power but so slight I wasn’t even sure. Then the o/d light started flashing and it dinged to check transmission, but was running fine. Then I started feeling some hard shifting, added fluid. It was great, then started acting worse after being on the road for a bit. Drained some of the fluid out as I thought I had over filled it. Once again it started out acting much better. Then going up the mountain I completely lost power, while waiting on my ride I decided to put it n gear and see. Went fine, the short way up the mountain down hill to home and up the steep drive. Now it’s in total limp mode. It goes slowly, with very little power, hard or no shift and will lose all engagement. Took it up the street and had to stop, turn the car off, start it again, put in gear and wait for me to feel it engage. Go a little bit and repeat. Working on getting a code reader, but I’m not sure if I’ll know where to start/since one code can be multiple causes. Anyone have any thoughts where to begin?
Thanks guys! Love this place

There are people on this forum more knowledgeable than I. Do you have a dipstick on this car for checking the fluid level? Either way, to set the level you must follow a specific procedure. That is important.
Next would be to check what codes have been logged. You will need a code puller that is capable of reading power-train codes. Not all code pullers will read these. Armed with the codes, the next steps will become more clear. The kinds of problems you describe sound like you run the risk of damaging the transmission by continuing to drive it.
Also, how many miles are on this car? Has the transmission fluid been changed per the maintenance schedule and the kind of driving you do? Getting a look at the pan after its been dropped will provide some visibility into the condition of the gear box and therefor how serious the problems are. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum.

First thing to do is get the trouble codes. Without the DTC’s you will just be going at it blind.

Also, you say it is an ‘04 (3rd Generation) but you are posting in the ‘06-‘10 (4th Generation) forum.

Is it indeed a 2004?

Welcome to the forum.

First thing to do is get the trouble codes. Without the DTC’s you will just be going at it blind.

Also, you say it is an ‘04 (3rd Generation) but you are posting in the ‘06-‘10 (4th Generation) forum.

Is it indeed a 2004?
Yes it is an 04 just got the wrong forum . Scanner should arrive tomorrow so I will get codes. I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions then. Thanks!

Back