Transmission filter and pan gasket - pulling my hair out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission filter and pan gasket - pulling my hair out

Desert_AIP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4WD
I am having a LOT of frustration over what should be something extremely simple.
I had my transmission replaced a few years ago at 135K miles and want to change out the filter and do a fluid flush.
I've read several threads here, especially about how to do the flush, and watched several YouTube vids.
It's all straightforward, I have no reservations about the process.

I am struggling to find the right parts.
This can't be that hard.

I have a 1998 4WD 4.0 SOHC XLT.

The tranny code on the door is "D" which the manual states is the A5LDE transmission which I believe is the 5R55E referred to commonly here on the board.
5 Speed automatic transmission with overdrive.

I want one of the rubber reusable pan gaskets, or at the least one of the OEM style with the steel washers.
I've searched many of the manufacturers mentioned in several threads here and can't find any of them.
I don't want a simple fibre gasket, and many of the "Amazon" parts look like Chinese brands I'm not familiar with.

I found a Lubelocker A4LD reusable gasket that states also fits the 5R55E so that "might" be covered, but I only saw that info in one place it could be wrong.

I want a quality filter. I found at least 3 different Motorcraft part numbers that state 5R55E but there are no photos so I don't know what the different parts are or which one is right.
Wix is recommended on this board, but I am struggling again finding the right filter.

This should be simple and straightforward but I am really struggling.

Help!! :)

Part numbers or links would really help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having a LOT of frustration over what should be something extremely simple.
I had my transmission replaced a few years ago at 135K miles and want to change out the filter and do a fluid flush.
I've read several threads here, especially about how to do the flush, and watched several YouTube vids.
It's all straightforward, I have no reservations about the process.

I am struggling to find the right parts.
This can't be that hard.

I have a 1998 4WD 4.0 SOHC XLT.

The tranny code on the door is "D" which the manual states is the A5LDE transmission which I believe is the 5R55E referred to commonly here on the board.
5 Speed automatic transmission with overdrive.

I want one of the rubber reusable pan gaskets, or at the least one of the OEM style with the steel washers.
I've searched many of the manufacturers mentioned in several threads here and can't find any of them.
I don't want a simple fibre gasket, and many of the "Amazon" parts look like Chinese brands I'm not familiar with.

I found a Lubelocker A4LD reusable gasket that states also fits the 5R55E so that "might" be covered, but I only saw that info in one place it could be wrong.

I want a quality filter. I found at least 3 different Motorcraft part numbers that state 5R55E but there are no photos so I don't know what the different parts are or which one is right.
Wix is recommended on this board, but I am struggling again finding the right filter.

This should be simple and straightforward but I am really struggling.

Help!! :)

Part numbers or links would really help.
Rockauto lists this for your truck.

MOTORCRAFT FT103 {#3Z9F593DA, F5TZ7A098B} Kit; Includes Gasket Info
4WD; Trans. code 5R55E

That would work for me too.

The 4wd version has a longer pickup tube on the filter than the RWD. You can see the pics.

This comes with a gasket too, I installed it and it is very leak free when torqued to spec.

Also, when flushing, understand that these trans have a temperature thermostat, so if the fluid is cold, most of it gets dumped back to the pan, and not to the cooler.

There are some aftermarket brands, I guess they are using the correct fiber mesh material in the filter. SPX Filtran is the OEM.

Is the pan gasket the same part for both the 2WD and 4WD transmissions?

@BTR On a 5r55e yes
only the pan is deeper and the filter fits the deep pan on the 4Wd

Make sure to get the gasket with the metal pucks in it like the one in my link pic

I bought rubber
Ford cork .same part number revised ....
And the new old stock ford with the metal pucks ...Make sure you see a pic before you buy it
I installed the NOS gasket no leaks I then installed a inline trans cooler filter
Now I change the oil by sucking it out through the dipstick tube and change the inline filter done

@BTR On a 5r55e yes
only the pan is deeper and the filter fits the deep pan on the 4Wd

Make sure to get the gasket with the metal pucks in it like the one in my link pic

I bought rubber
Ford cork .same part number revised ....
And the new old stock ford with the metal pucks ...Make sure you see a pic before you buy it
I installed the NOS gasket no leaks I then installed a inline trans cooler filter
Now I change the oil by sucking it out through the dipstick tube and change the inline filter done
Hate to give you another idea but there is a nice trans pan with a bolt.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7O06RQ/?tag=serious-20

There are some cheaper brands too. I have it for years, trans fluid replaced every second oil change.

Very cheap insurance. A local trans guy pretty much sold me on it, he said whether I do it or you, get it in asap with a large trans cooler. He said these transmissions run very hot, and that causes a ton of wear and tear. Every rebuild he does gets a Hayden 679 and that pan. These transmissions can't be overcooled because they have a T-stat.

I agree you want a better cooler or more cooling, heat is bad for fluids.

The pan gasket I don't understand the issue though. Why are so many people replacing the gasket, what's wrong with the original one that can last forever? I don't use cork gaskets, I'll go without and do just RTV first. Toss that crap away, steel pucks or not, the cork absorbs oil and will eventually fail over time.

The stock gaskets are thin steel with a layer of rubber, which can last decades. I bought a new filter from Rock Auto a year ago for my 99 5R55E that's being rebuilt. I have a new deeper pan, and the gasket from the kit, is gone, I threw it away when I saw the cork. The original gasket is 153k miles old, it's still fine I'm sure. I will reuse it.

The original gasket was not reusable it was rubberized cork
They do not make a metal/rubber reusable gasket for this year

The whole idea is I do not want remove it again because of the hard to find gasket
I not so stupid that I didn't think of a drain plug or a $5 rubber gasket
Using the drain plug cheep pan is ok but it drains on my catalytic converter
It's easy to just take 3 min to pump it out and back in with no spills no pan

Just my experience

The stock gaskets are thin steel with a layer of rubber, which can last decades. I bought a new filter from Rock Auto a year ago for my 99 5R55E that's being rebuilt. I have a new deeper pan, and the gasket from the kit, is gone, I threw it away when I saw the cork. The original gasket is 153k miles old, it's still fine I'm sure. I will reuse it.
Send me this gasket or even a part number to it

Send me this gasket or even a part number to it
I'm sorry I wish I knew what it was, I had it off last when the transmission died years ago. I dropped the pan to discover what I could find, and a small part(piece of a part) told me it was not moving again until rebuilt. I had had the pan off 2-3 times before after I bought the truck, doing VB kit and the Borg Warner EPC solenoid test program. I thought all of the later 90's Fords got the great steel gasket from the factory. It sounds like some didn't or people changed them at a filter/fluid service time.

I'm sorry I wish I knew what it was, I had it off last when the transmission died years ago. I dropped the pan to discover what I could find, and a small part(piece of a part) told me it was not moving again until rebuilt. I had had the pan off 2-3 times before after I bought the truck, doing VB kit and the Borg Warner EPC solenoid test program. I thought all of the later 90's Fords got the great steel gasket from the factory. It sounds like some didn't or people changed them at a filter/fluid service time.
I looked and looked ....
I even called ford
No dice

Same with the rear diff
WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A METAL REINFORCED DIFF GASKET FORD WHY....WHYYY

The pan gasket I don't understand the issue though. Why are so many people replacing the gasket, what's wrong with the original one that can last forever? I don't use cork gaskets, I'll go without and do just RTV first. Toss that crap away, steel pucks or not, the cork absorbs oil and will eventually fail over time.

I want to have a new gasket on hand when I drop the pan.
I don't want to get into this job and only THEN discover the original gasket is damaged.

I looked and looked ....
I even called ford
No dice

Same with the rear diff
Hence my original frustration for starting this thread... :)

To me, that's what the gasket that comes with a filter is for, just in case the original isn't usable. I don't go into the job planning to use that poor gasket.
I looked and looked ....
I even called ford
No dice

Same with the rear diff
I agree with you on the rear diff. You can buy a gasket from a brand like Yukon, and that $22 version that has the orange rubber line around it. I have one of those I plan to use the next time I do my Lincoln.

You can buy a gasket from a brand like Yukon, and that $22 version that has the orange rubber line around it.
I'm gonna get me one of these with my next gear oil change
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been using the Fram Micro Filter on mine and it came with a rubber gasket. I also use an external motorcraft inline filter with no problems. Flush with Mobil 1 AFT every 25,000 miles. Currently have 380K on the Reman trans.

Back