Transmission filter and pan gasket - pulling my hair out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission filter and pan gasket - pulling my hair out

That's good upgrading, an external filter can help with capacity and catching material before it can reach the cooler. It all helps to make the fluid and trans last longer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To me, that's what the gasket that comes with a filter is for, just in case the original isn't usable. I don't go into the job planning to use that poor gasket.

I agree with you on the rear diff. You can buy a gasket from a brand like Yukon, and that $22 version that has the orange rubber line around it. I have one of those I plan to use the next time I do my Lincoln.
Was looking at Lubelocker for the Diff.

Damnit!

Got my filter and gasket today.
Motorcraft parts, pic clearly shows steel pucks in gasket, gasket in the box is all cork, no pucks!

Won't work tried it with the ford version
Looks like it will but because of the pan / trans mating surface
No seal

I bought the ford one cost me a bit of atf
Ford cork .same part number revised ....
And the new old stock ford with the metal pucks ...Make sure you see a pic before you buy it
Make sure u see a pic or massage the seller

Per its Amazon page, the Dorman 265-831 transmission pan (which has a drain plug) DOES NOT fit a 2000 Explorer XLT 2WD with a 5-speed automatic 5R55E.

Per the LubeLocker.com website, the LubeLocker Ford A4LD Transmission- LLT-FA4LD gasket (which has a aluminum core with an outer silicone coating and a elastomer beading applied to the gasket face) DOES fit a 5R55E.

Has anyone actually used it
If it don't leak I'm gonna use it

I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Amazon's "Garage" feature says the Doorman pan should fit my 1998 XLT 4WD.

Doorman's site only lists the 4WD and AWD vehicles as compatible, I'm guessing because they have deeper pans and filters.
Doorman Pan
But I understand you could use the OEM deeper pan on a 2WD and use the longer4WD filter (read that but don't know for sure).

I understand you could use the OEM deeper pan on a 2WD and use the longer4WD filter (read that but don't know for sure).
Yes sir you are correct

I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Amazon's "Garage" feature says the Doorman pan should fit my 1998 XLT 4WD.

Doorman's site only lists the 4WD and AWD vehicles as compatible, I'm guessing because they have deeper pans and filters.
Doorman Pan
But I understand you could use the OEM deeper pan on a 2WD and use the longer4WD filter (read that but don't know for sure).

Yes, the key is that the pans are matched to the filter. The pans differ only in the shape where the filter pickup is, the 4WD pan is just slightly deeper in that one location. The pans are identical otherwise.

I bought an aftermarket pan, which is flat on the bottom, same depth as the stock 4WD pan, and requires the 4WD version filter. I love a flat bottomed pan, the other types suck.

Have everything I need.
Dorman pan with drain plug, Lubelocker gasket (fits Dorman pan perfectly), new Motorcraft filter, the Magnefine magnetic inline filter linked above, a case of Motorcraft Mercon V.
I'm going out of town, so it'll be a bit before I can do the pan drop and flush.
Fingers crossed.

Definitely following this.

Me too. Definitely following this to see how things turn out.

how i instaled my trans filter after the cooler
20201022_095815.jpg

The filter has a arrow for flow it looks wrong but it's not

I put it after the cooler because it was a new transmission

Hey, you can drain that filter too easily, you didn't stick it somewhere inaccessible, like an OEM would be? I stuck mine nearby too, but a regular FL1A.

Attachments

• Projectthread110.JPG
    Projectthread110.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 76

how i instaled my trans filter after the cooler View attachment 323227
The filter has a arrow for flow it looks wrong but it's not

I put it after the cooler because it was a new transmission
I was thinking of putting it on the input line to the cooler to filter the fluid before running through it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking of putting it on the input line to the cooler to filter the fluid before running through it.

That's how I routed mine, to protect the coolers if anything happens. If a transmission burns up, it's smart to replace the cooler, the radiator also, or else install a filter after the coolers, to protect the trans.

Back