• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Filter

heathmo

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Ok, well I've got to get the EPC and TCC solenoids anyways, so I figure might as well change to transmission filter since I'll be down there. Even though I'm going to eventually have to go back when I've got more time and money and put in the shift kit and Sonnax boost valve. But I've been trying to find the right filter. I know that I can find both the Fram and Motorcraft ones, but the thing is, I want the whole kit. Not just a filter so I'm not out running around trying to find stuff when I'm already working. For the record since none of the threads I searched had the correct part #s, here they are: Motorcraft: Kit - FT168, Filter only - FT167; Fram: FT-1087A & B for the filter and gasket. But looks like it wouldn't come w/ O-Rings then. Honestly I've got to watch what I'm spending because from what I can tell I may not have a job by next week, so I know this needs fixed, but I don't want to overspend on something I don't need. I know the Fram seems to be the best for the Ford 5R55E. Funny thing is there is no information about any of the transmission filters, even on their web sites. Why wouldn't they want to tout how good those are since they all seem to think they make the best oil filters and tell you all about those. Should I just get the Motorcraft kit for $43 or the Fram for $23?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The filters should come with the new O-rings. The gasket is probably the pan gasket.

Buy the fram. It is OEM.

When I changed my filter I bought the Dacron filter at Autozone not the paper filter. It came with the O rings and the pan gasket.

I don't recall the brand.

It came with a cork gasket.

Well

Obviously the number I got is wrong, it's for an in-line transmission filter kit. This is why I ask the questions. But I never get an answer before I order stuff. So looks like I'll have to return this or keep it and wait until I do a flush. I still need the filter and gasket though. My question is why is the part # most often listed for just the A4LD and not the 5R55E?

Looks like the FT134 is the actual filter kit, would have been nice if they said filter not pan. RockAuto has great prices, but their descriptions are terrible. Either way I'll need that so I can get the gasket too. But should I install the Motorcraft inline filter? Seems like a nice added insurance for my transmission to last longer. Or should I just wait and get the external filter kit and get a screw on Mobil1?

The inline filter has an internal magnet while a screw in filter is just a plain oil filter. The disadvantage to the inline filter is that you have to disconnect the hose clamps every time you want to replace it, and it's not readily available in an average auto parts store. Did you compare WWW.RockAuto.Com to WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com?

Usually RockAuto is a lot cheaper, but I did get the solenoids off TransmissionPartsUSA. They were one of the few places that had them. Too bad they're in FL, 4 days to ship to IA. RockAuto has stuff here in 1 day since their warehouse is in WI.

I have no problem with dealing with two filters, that's fine with me, I'm just wondering if I'd be better off sending back the inline and getting the external kit Aldive used, or if I should just use this. Which will help my transmission more? Like I've said b4. I finally would like to have a vehicle last a long time for me. Most of my vehicles get about a year or two and they're done.

You could use the inline filter for the transmission or the power steering if it's the correct size. The spin on is more convenient to use if you have the room. Both do the job, but the inline has the internal magnet. You could add a magnet to the pan which will do the same thing.

Hell whatever makes it last longer, that's all I want this time around. That's why I've read what a lot of guys on here have done and are doing because I need a vehicle that will last for me. And I really like this one. Even without all the creature comforts my LeSabre had, it's still nice. Sits high enough that I don't scrape going up driveways. I can tow and haul crap. Help people out of ditches. Definitely a more fun vehicle.

I thought all pans had a magnet in them to collect small amounts of metal? But that'll work for me, maybe we'll tackle a couple of jobs when I fix the solenoids. We'll see how much time we have. If I get my parts Tuesday then I'll just be taking the day off work to fix my truck. Because the light came on again last night, but the shifts are super firm that way. I kinda like it. So definitely next thing to do will be the shift kit.

The pan should have a magnet, but I've dropped pans without finding a magnet. Sometimes the previous shop which did the fluid change removed it, and forgot to put it back on. You could buy a bar magnet in Radio Shack model # 64-1877. It's small, and very strong.

Buy the fram. It is OEM.

While it's possible Glacier that Fram built some filters for Motorcraft, they most certainly didn't provide what you get off the shelf with the Fram name. Things like check valves missing from Fram, less media, lots of things.

Oh please please please! Do NOT buy Fram!! Do yourself a huge favor and cut open some filters. You are going to be absolutely amazed. Wix is probably the best value out there. Best filter I ever saw for the money. But Fram? I wouldn't use one of those if it were given to me. Take a look at the market they serve and tell me they are interested in a quality product. Think about it. Then go buy the filters and cut them open and see for yourself.

While it's possible Glacier that Fram built some filters for Motorcraft, they most certainly didn't provide what you get off the shelf with the Fram name. Things like check valves missing from Fram, less media, lots of things.

.... Oh please please please! Do NOT buy Fram!! ....

Whoa. I think you lost track that they are talking about the transmission filter here.

I'm talking about the construction and quality of Fram products in general...not specific filters. As someone who has meticulously inspected and searched for quality filters for well over 30 years, I can honestly say I would never have a Fram product in my shop or car...ever. But hey...do what you guys want. There are a lot of choices out there.

By the way Glacier...there was another large filter company that made Motorcraft filters for Ford. Right up to the point they got caught shipping out some of their own product that was painted and boxed in the Motorcraft name. Just because a company makes a product for a manufacturer doesn't mean you get that company's branded product.

Ok, SPX makes the Motorcraft Transmission Filters, they are based out of Des Plaines, IL. Part #s all lead back to them. Now here's a question for you? How the hell do you get the transmission pan out of the way? We couldn't get it out of there, so we just worked around it. But every thing seems to be copesetic now. Shifts are firmer. I've also never had a vehicle that I couldn't even tell when I went into gear before, but this is amazing how wonderful it is now that I've fixed the solenoids too. Had some slipping initially, but a few miles and another quart of ATF and all is well. I'm hoping I have no leaks, check a few times, but of course we spilled so there's a bit of a stain there now. But for the next few weeks I'll be keeping an eye on it. But yeah if you know how to take off the transmission pan I'd be glad to know because we were stuck on crossmembers and the cat converter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back