Transmission Fluid Change/Spark Plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Change/Spark Plugs

In another post, my tranny took a dump with only 61,0000 miles on the clock. Well, I got my vehicle back today and to keep the 5 year 50,000 mile warranty in effect, I have to change (and prove it) the tranny fluid and filter every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thewishkah said:
Good luck, btw what area of BK are you in?

I'm in Flatbush. You?

I have driven Volvos for twenty years and have done countless flushes on those. But I have never done a flush on my Explorer, as I am not as familiar with these engines/transmissions. I assume the process is the same. Is there a site, or a good manuel which can show me what I am doing in this regard? I wonder if the hose I have for the Volvo trans line will fit the X? Do you hook up at the radiator, or somewhere else? I generally used about eight quarts "exchange" in my 240 -- is that about right for my X? Thanks for the help. Allen

As per Aldive:

It is best to drop the pan ( at least once ) and change the filter, Refill with ATF of your choice and then do the following flush procedure:

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

The the truck run at idle while 1 quart is pumped out. Stop the truck andd add back 1 quart of new ATF.

We used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Amsoil ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, just slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 15 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

Back