• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid change

Halo9809

Reaction score
City, State
Zebulon, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
So I tried to see if I could find anything regarding this method of changing the transmission fluid but can’t find anything. I just got a 2012 XLT with about 157k miles on it and I can’t seem to find if this is a good idea or not. I would like to use the transmission cooler lines near the radiator to do a flush of the fluid. Does anyone have any experience with this method or would it just be better to do a simple change of the fluid like the manual calls for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have V6 with the 6F55/50 transmission there is a drain plug in the center. You will get about 4.5 qts from a drain and fill. After about 3 times it should completely replace the old fluid

If you have V6 with the 6F55/50 transmission there is a drain plug in the center. You will get about 4.5 qts from a drain and fill. After about 3 times it should completely replace the old fluid
That is exaclty what I did but with half the mileage. At this point I suggest to the OP do a 1 drain and refill (4.5 qts) every other engine oil change at the soonest. At this point ther's a lot of clutch material in the fluid that is actually helping that's why I would go against a full flush (or several drain and refills). Do 1 drain and refill and you should be Ok, it will replenish some of the fluid additives.

I went through the same dilemma on my 13ex and while I'm no math quiz I do know replacing a partial amount of trans fluid a few times isn't the answer based on a similar formula I found..

Total Fluid Capacity: 11.3
Amount Replaced: 3.20

Change #1 28.32%
Change #2 48.62%
Change #3 63.17%
Change #4 73.60%
Change #5 81.08%
Change #6 86.43%
Change #7 90.28%
Change #8 93.03%
Change #9 95.00%
Change #10 96.42%

Based on this info I went cooler line flush route. On my 13 in order to also flush the cooler I removed the top line which was not what other info showed. I'm assuming you have researched the how too's but happy to help further if needed

I went through the same dilemma on my 13ex and while I'm no math quiz I do know replacing a partial amount of trans fluid a few times isn't the answer based on a similar formula I found..

Total Fluid Capacity: 11.3
Amount Replaced: 3.20

Change #1 28.32%
Change #2 48.62%
Change #3 63.17%
Change #4 73.60%
Change #5 81.08%
Change #6 86.43%
Change #7 90.28%
Change #8 93.03%
Change #9 95.00%
Change #10 96.42%

Based on this info I went cooler line flush route. On my 13 in order to also flush the cooler I removed the top line which was not what other info showed. I'm assuming you have researched the how too's but happy to help further if needed
I would like your feedback on how it was going that route? I’ve watched videos on how to do it but couldn’t find the location of the cooler lines on our SUV.

Random tip: I just changed mine a few weeks ago, did it with the engine hot so the fluid is less viscous and flows more freely out, hopefully helping pull along any metal bits to the drain, but even after the drainage stopped, I pushed back and forth on the front bumper to rock the vehicle for about a minute and got a few more ounces out, about half a cup.

So I tried to see if I could find anything regarding this method of changing the transmission fluid but can’t find anything. I just got a 2012 XLT with about 157k miles on it and I can’t seem to find if this is a good idea or not. I would like to use the transmission cooler lines near the radiator to do a flush of the fluid. Does anyone have any experience with this method or would it just be better to do a simple change of the fluid like the manual calls for?
Unless things have changed, the advice for tranny fluid is to not flush once you hit 100k-120k miles...unless you know what the history of the fluid is. Simple drain and fill from the pan is sufficient to renew the chemistry of the fluid. Flushing old trannies tends to stir up the billions of small particles that have been safely tucked away somewhere in the channels and should remain there.

Back