transmission fluid cooler questions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission fluid cooler questions....

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
so it seems like transmission work is now on top of my to-do list for my 93 exploder 4X4. im going to be swapping transmissions from my parts truck....

what I was thinking about was taking out the transmission fluid cooler from the parts truck and installing it next to and connecting it to the one in the 4x4.... thinking maybe it will work wonders for keeping the fluid nice and cool- and maybe prevent the transmission from coming anywhere close to overheating.

has anyone done this before? if so, will it adversely affect performance? will it even work?

is anyone on here an A4LD transmission expert? if so, I could use some good advise! I have lots of questions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will just double the amount of cooling capacity, which is not a bad idea. There is lots of info on this forum about these trannies. They are the weak point in these vehicles. But, if properly cared for and serviced they will last a long time.

It will just double the amount of cooling capacity, which is not a bad idea. There is lots of info on this forum about these trannies. They are the weak point in these vehicles. But, if properly cared for and serviced they will last a long time.

do you know if anyone has done this mod before?

Usually guys will get a high capacity aftermarket cooler and install an inline spin on filter. But doing this will not hurt anything as long as the they are not clogged internally.

To answer your question, no I don't know of anyone doing this. But it's very doable.

then im going to do it LOL ...thanks for the help

Sweet, post some pics when you done. Also keep in mind that the more stuff blocking the radiator the less efficient it will be. Both from drag and the heat from the trans coolers and the A/C condenser, if your A/C works, that is..

Keeping things cool is key to making them last. Especially the trans.

No problem BTW.

I've been wanting to do this to extend my cooling capacity. Clean fluid is more important than cooling so put that first. Check out my signature for a DIY filter setup. If I were you, I would absolutely not put the key in the ignition without a filter on the trans after your rebuild.

If you still want to double up on cooling, think about flow rate. Series versus parallel. I don't know if there's a downside in terms of the extra restriction of another cooler in series. I do know that with the filter setup I have, there's been no performance issues but that may change with having to run through another cooler in series. Keep in mind, the metal lines are thin, it's running through the radiator tank, through an auxiliary cooler, through a filter and through another cooler. That's a lot of restriction. The way I've been thinking about mine is to run the metal line to the radiator as is stock, from the radiator it comes out to a rubber hose nipple. From that I would go to the filter (spin-on or in-line) then run a splitter on the output of that filter. From there I would hook a cooler to each output of the splitter. On the output of each cooler, run rubber hose that goes to another splitter. That splitter joins the 2 lines and would connect back to the metal line going to the trans into the sump. Doing it this way, you're making less restriction in the line as well as reducing the flow rate through the cooler. You'd have to do some serious maths or have a temp gauge to figure out if cooling is better or worse due to flow rate through the cooler. Some people say that the fluid needs time to sit in the cooler in order to have heat exchange take place. Too much time and it may cool down too much and never warm up. Too little and it's not doing it's job. I don't know what the magic equation is, but it's something to think about. This is where it comes back to series versus parallel. Series may offer too much restriction but cool properly.

Back