Transmission Fluid difference | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Transmission Fluid difference

jseen

Reaction score
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
I just changed the transmission fluid for my 07 sport Trac with a 6r60 trans.

When under the truck, I noticed the pan was was quite a bit more shallow than I'd seen from others doing a fluid change on this transmission.

I emptied about 6.5 qts. And was only able to pump in 5.5 qts before it started overflowing. I shifted gears, took it out a bit to get the fluid all over. Then tried to pump more in. Still overflowing.

I'm worried that it's over filled, but this is definitely less than what was in it previous. Not sure what to do. Transmission shifts and feels great though

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I think the only way to get more in would be to have it not sitting level. If it’s level, and coming out of the overflow cold, then you should be good.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
I just changed the transmission fluid for my 07 sport Trac with a 6r60 trans.

When under the truck, I noticed the pan was was quite a bit more shallow than I'd seen from others doing a fluid change on this transmission.

I emptied about 6.5 qts. And was only able to pump in 5.5 qts before it started overflowing. I shifted gears, took it out a bit to get the fluid all over. Then tried to pump more in. Still overflowing.

I'm worried that it's over filled, but this is definitely less than what was in it previous. Not sure what to do. Transmission shifts and feels great though
where is it on the dipstick when hot? thats the best measure of if its overfilled. once it comes out of those vent tubes that means its full assuming its level

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
where is it on the dipstick when hot? thats the best measure of if its overfilled. once it comes out of those vent tubes that means its full assuming its level
I don’t think they have dip sticks.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
ah they were sealed for that gen? well thats just great! then yeah if it comes out of the gent tubes, or i feel like i remember seeing on a tbird there was some attatcent to the paj and based on how fast it comes out or somethib like that let me see if i can find it

jseen

Reaction score
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
There are dipsticks for the 6r60 and 6r80 transmissions. They are located at the front left (passenger side) right freaking next to the cat.

jseen

Reaction score
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
it's at the "same" level when it's hot. I put the dipstick in, and the entire thing is soaked.

For these transmissions, the dipstick is like a 4" piece of plastic right on the front left side of the transmission pan. There's a 19mm bolt holding it in. This is where the fluid is also filled at. When cold or hot, I put the dipstick in and the entire thing has fluid on it.

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
it's at the "same" level when it's hot. I put the dipstick in, and the entire thing is soaked.

For these transmissions, the dipstick is like a 4" piece of plastic right on the front left side of the transmission pan. There's a 19mm bolt holding it in. This is where the fluid is also filled at. When cold or hot, I put the dipstick in and the entire thing has fluid on it.
My 11 F150 has the same trans. It should not be to the top, especially cold. Must be checked running in park. Cold would be at the bottom of the hashmark. It is normal to overflow if the truck is off. When it runs it fills the cooler and other areas of the trans.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
There are dipsticks for the 6r60 and 6r80 transmissions. They are located at the front left (passenger side) right freaking next to the cat.
Gotcha.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4

i doubt it should be all fluid-y when hot. is there a full mark or any indication of where its supposed to be?

jseen

Reaction score
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
My 11 F150 has the same trans. It should not be to the top, especially cold. Must be checked running in park. Cold would be at the bottom of the hashmark. It is normal to overflow if the truck is off. When it runs it fills the cooler and other areas of the trans.
damn. Ok well I'll get it running and let it warm up and burn the hell out of my arm on the cat lol. Will report back later.

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
i doubt it should be all fluid-y when hot. is there a full mark or any indication of where its supposed to be?
There sure is a hashmark. It is just a exercise in masochism because your hand is so close to the cat. You have to dunk a small coffee stirrer in a hole to read the level. There is a method to this madness, they want to keep the trans absolutely sealed, that prevents the fluid from oxidizing. Also, it keeps amateurs from adding/removing without understanding the whole procedure.

I am going to be servicing mine soon, I have a leather glove ready.

jseen

Reaction score
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
Yes the new dipsticks have a "B" and an "A" hash mark which has been referenced previously on another forum here
It seems the "A" line is in line with the previous version.

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
From the Ford guru himself.

jseen

Reaction score
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
@94Eddie @Fix4Dirt @96eb96
Update for everyone.
When checking the transmission fluid either hot or cold (without the engine running) the fluid always reads super high.

The engine has to be on (as 96eb96 said). Doing that, the fluid is at the bottom of the "A" hash mark. I've seen in other posts that seems to be the correct line.

Side NOTE: if you get the engine hot, turn it off, then check the fluid. You will be met with hot transmission fluid spewing out of the plug (since it is held under pressure). I was not prepared for this. (again as 96eb96 said, maybe I should listen to him. probably wont and keep messing things up)

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
seen in other what? sorry seems like maybe the sentence got cut off or somehtin
@94Eddie @Fix4Dirt @96eb96
Update for everyone.
When checking the transmission fluid either hot or cold (without the engine running) the fluid always reads super high.

The engine has to be on (as 96eb96 said). Doing that, the fluid is at the bottom of the "A" hash mark. I've seen in other

Side NOTE: if you get the engine hot, turn it off, then check the fluid. You will be met with hot transmission fluid spewing out of the plug (since it is held under pressure). I was not prepared for this. (again as 96eb96 said, maybe I should listen to him. probably wont and keep messing things up)