Transmission Fluid Fill

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
Sorry for this seeming stupid question, but...

Did a pan drop on the 99 Explorer yesterday. I put in 3 quarts of Mercon V ATF but it looked like it could use more. I added a fourth quart and it still looks like it isn't full yet. How much fluid are you supposed to add? Chilton manual says 3 quarts but from what I see it could use more. Please let me know; I do not want to overfill the transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let the truck warm up and then check the fluid on level ground. Typically it should be 3-4 quarts for a simple pan drop & filter. Since you already put 3 in, I would first check it after its warm and then slowly add 1/4 quart at a time till it registers unless it registers on the dip stick.

Let the truck warm up and then check the fluid on level ground. Typically it should be 3-4 quarts for a simple pan drop & filter. Since you already put 3 in, I would first check it after its warm and then slowly add 1/4 quart at a time till it registers unless it registers on the dip stick.

That's what I did this morning, added ¼ of the 4th quart at a time until the whole 4th quart was in, still can't get it to show on the dipstick. I took the car for a drive and it seemed OK, but after getting back I checked and it was just at the very tip of the dipstick. I do need to drive this car around a bit tomorrow so I want to make sure I have the right amount of fluid inside.

It's not leaking out, either, I checked for that.

Also you want to make sure the truck is actually running when you check the fluid level for the tranny

Yes, it's running, and I shift through all the gears to make sure, I added a little at a time, until I eventually ended up adding a 5th quart. All seems to be OK, I was getting a reading on the dipstick. I checked again after coming home from the grocery store and didn't see much on the dipstick but then again it's night now and it's hard to tell. But I don't think I'll be adding anymore considering that I really don't think I took 5 quarts out. I drove on it today for a while and didn't have any trouble.

Could it have been low when you started?

I'd make sure that it is properly filled.

No, it didn't appear to be low. I had checked it with the engine running before attempting the service so it shouldn't have been. I think the real problem is my driveway isn't exactly level. Though my street isn't either. I'll try turning it around tomorrow and see what kind of reading I get that time.

This is a strange problem...the only other thing I can think of is that maybee the dipstick isn't seating properly......when you put it back in wiggle it around and make sure its going all the way in.

Went to the Pepboys parking lot to check, and it looks like it's filled OK now, maybe a little more than it should be but OK. I couldn't believe my driveway is sloped that much, it doesn't seem like it. Seems to shift just fine now, too, no shuddering and a lot smoother operation.

Back