Transmission fluid flush vs drain and refill. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid flush vs drain and refill.

springwater

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer V6 4.0
I want to have my transmission fluid serviced. My Explorer now has 42k miles and climbing fast.

The local transmission guy, a "trusted expert" says that I dont need to drop the pan nor change the filter. That I should just change the fluid via a flush.

What say you guys, which method is better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am planning on doing both. I am worried about my trans filter getting clogged up so I am going to change that first then do a complete flush.

The ONLY way to properly service a transmission is to drop the pan, replace the filter and refill. Flushes only do one thing well, flush good money out of your pocket. Seriously, trans flushes can do far more harm than good.

Drop the pan, drain the fluid, change the filter, replace fluid, install pan, call it a day.

What they said above. And wipe off and reuse the nice metal gasket! I tossed mine cause the filter came with a rubber one and it took 2 of us over a hour to line up all the holes. On the next flush threw that one away and replaced with a oem metal gasket and took less than 10 min.

I'll be the first to tell you I don't recommend a powerflush if your oil hasn't been changed in over 80K miles or more. The powerflush has actually caused the transmission to fail because after so many miles the gunk that has built up in the clutch plates and other components are actually keeping the transmission from failing. A powerflush usually breaks all the debris free but it damages the plates and other internal parts not to mention you cannot truly clean the filter with a power flush. It is ok if you have 50K or less or at most 65k miles before the flush but no more than that. Also if you drop the pan and do that about 2x in a year you will remove all of the old fluid from the vehicle. Much safer way to go.

Mine didn't get done until 96K, but there wasn't that much buildup on the magnet at all. I changed the filter when I did mine. But the next time, I will just change the fluid.

You'll need the special oil hose connector tool to get the oil line disconnected near the radiator in the front passenger side. Mine was a pain, but it's 13 years old too. It took a lot of PB Blaster, and muscle. But I had the plastic tool, and didn't want to break it. It would have been easier if I had the metal version, but I got it at the local parts store, so I didn't have to wait for a delivery.

You'll also need the NPT fitting to screw into the bottom of the pan. That's where you'll pump in the fluid. The trans has a fill plug, but you're not getting to it unless you drop the trans. Just pump it in from the bottom with the Harbor Freight hand pump that's in the auto section. It works great.

Get the vehicle on jackstands. Disconnect the oil line and cut off a piece of hose from the HF hand pump, slip it over the oil line and hang it into your bucket or drain pan. Let the trans pump out the fluid until it stops. Shut the motor off and add the same amount of fluid. Go back and forth until it come out clean and red. 14-15 quarts will be enough.

Start the motor and disconnect the hand pump from the trans. You'll get fluid that will pour out until it levels with the stand pipe in the pan. It will kinda splash out as the motor gets hotter. You're good to go.

15 Quarts !!!!!

Guys, for all of you who like to keep it factory, the factory service for the transmission is Every 30,000 miles. Drop pan, replace filter, and proper refill. From Ford Service manual.

Back