Transmission fluid leak from oil cooler fitting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leak from oil cooler fitting

fordxander

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V6
Iv'e been having a small leak from the tranny oil cooler at the front of the truck ('06 V6 xlt). The leak appears on both fittings coming out of the oil cooler attached to the bottom of the radiator. I think it's coming from where the fluid line goes into the fitting, and not from where the fitting goes into the cooler.

a picture of the fitting is in this thread = http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297353&highlight=oil+cooler+leak

I brought the car to Ford, only for them to tell me I neede a radiator replacement for about $1000.00. They said the fittings are the problem and the only way to replace them is with a new radiator. Apparently they don't sell the fittings seperately.

This is a stupid problem to replace the whole radiator. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

I found some threads regarding the issue, but can't solve this. The leak is very slow, but its starting to stain by driveway :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you are not getting transmission fluid in the rad. (because if you are, you are probably getting radiator fluid in your transmission also-not good) Been there. Done that. I had a new rad from napa put un for about $350.00. Unfortunately, I also had to have my tranny rebuilt for another $1800.00.

I just spoke to ford after reading your concern so basically you have to file a complaint with nhtsa, i am not sure how many letters they need to start investigatiing the concern with ford explorer, but right now there are over 80 complaints filed at the nhtsa.gov about the explorer cooling system, so if we can all work together at team and write your problem with ur vehicle to the nhtsa, then they can investigate the problem with the explorer

Iv'e been having a small leak from the tranny oil cooler at the front of the truck ('06 V6 xlt). The leak appears on both fittings coming out of the oil cooler attached to the bottom of the radiator. I think it's coming from where the fluid line goes into the fitting, and not from where the fitting goes into the cooler.

a picture of the fitting is in this thread = http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297353&highlight=oil+cooler+leak

I brought the car to Ford, only for them to tell me I neede a radiator replacement for about $1000.00. They said the fittings are the problem and the only way to replace them is with a new radiator. Apparently they don't sell the fittings seperately.

This is a stupid problem to replace the whole radiator. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

I found some threads regarding the issue, but can't solve this. The leak is very slow, but its starting to stain by driveway :(

is it leaking through the fitting at the lines or the fitting to the radiator?

try cleaning them off, brake clean and see where its coming from.

if its from the fittings where the lines go in, most likely you need lines, from vibration not having the plastic locks in place, the lines could of been damaged and need new lines, if its from the fittings to the radiator just pick up an o ring kit and do one fitting at a time install a new o ring.

thanks for the replies.

I WILL take some time to report this to the nhtsa. Through my searches I've found this problem to be a prevalent one. I spoke to another Ford dealership and they said the same thing....replace the radiator....

I cleaned the fittings up and put some cardboard under the car. It seems the leak, and the drip (which I can see form), is coming from where the line goes into the fitting.

How can I check the line? I am unsure how to disconnect it from the fitting. Is there a disconnect tool?

you need a disconnect tool to remove them.... if the lines are polish clean silver, most likely the lines worn out and caused a leak.

Hi guys. Im new to this site and found this thread by searching for this exact issue with my Explorer. Its an 06 XLT as well and while my leak issue doesnt seem as consistant as "fordxander"s its still there and pissing me off.
The difference here is that I just replaced my radiator(cracked) and now Im having this seepage from the disconnect. Plastic clips are in place as well. The only thing I can think of is that I replaced the radiator and didnt replace the lines..it doesnt seem like I need to, but maybe thats the issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D

I have the identical problem as Bansheejake. I have just replaced my radiator ~2k miles ago. Everything sealed up fine, until last week when the return line to the tranmission started leaking at the fitting.

I have replaced the o-ring twice without any luck. I am told by everyone that the retainer clip inside the quick connect fitting isn't sold anywhere, eventhough it has a part # on the Ford schematic. Can you replace the whole fitting for one without the quick connect?

I am scheduled to trade in the vehicle in the next week or so. Help!

I have the identical problem as Bansheejake. I have just replaced my radiator ~2k miles ago. Everything sealed up fine, until last week when the return line to the tranmission started leaking at the fitting.

I have replaced the o-ring twice without any luck. I am told by everyone that the retainer clip inside the quick connect fitting isn't sold anywhere, eventhough it has a part # on the Ford schematic. Can you replace the whole fitting for one without the quick connect?

I am scheduled to trade in the vehicle in the next week or so. Help!

Everywhere I looked was the same stupid run-around. My final fix: I took the female end of the disconnect fittings out of the radiator, milled off the q/d portion and drilled and tapped the hole to 3/8" npt and put on brass hose fittings that were 3/8"npt x 1/2" barbed hose fitting and plugged into that. Haven't had a leak or a problem since. Good luck.

Everywhere I looked was the same stupid run-around. My final fix: I took the female end of the disconnect fittings out of the radiator, milled off the q/d portion and drilled and tapped the hole to 3/8" npt and put on brass hose fittings that were 3/8"npt x 1/2" barbed hose fitting and plugged into that. Haven't had a leak or a problem since. Good luck.

So you didn't have any issue with the transmission cooler seperating inside the radiator? Did you drain the radiator first?

Yes I drained the radiator first, and the internal cooler did separate when the fittings were removed. When I reinstalled the fittings it all snugged back up and sealed tight again.

My 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 started having a leak yesterday, it was actually squirting out fluid as long as the engine was running... Took it to the shop and they had to order a completely new transmission line that runs from the radiator to the transmission...

Parts & Labor - $215

alternative

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but if the problem is on the radiator, even if replaced, wouldn't a good move be to put in an aftermarket trans cooler in place of the stock one built in to the radiator? That way you are bypassing the the fittings at the bottom of the radiator, and more importantly you are completely eliminating the chance that the trans cooler built in to the radiator breaks down and starts mixing trans and coolant - thereby also eliminating the dreaded 'pink milkshake' and having to rebuild a trans. For a $60 aftermarket trans cooler, sounds like a good mod to me. :D

This post byBansheejake shouldbe a sticky

Many kudos and thanks to bansheejake for writing this post. I had my transmission mechanic apply this fix to my leaking fittings and that was 2 years ago. It has not leaked since.

Thanks man, you saved me a huge headache 2 years ago, that I am sure would have returned frequently.

~Mike

Hi guys. Im new to this site and found this thread by searching for this exact issue with my Explorer. Its an 06 XLT as well and while my leak issue doesnt seem as consistant as "fordxander"s its still there and pissing me off.
The difference here is that I just replaced my radiator(cracked) and now Im having this seepage from the disconnect. Plastic clips are in place as well. The only thing I can think of is that I replaced the radiator and didnt replace the lines..it doesnt seem like I need to, but maybe thats the issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hello,
I have a 2000 Explorer. I had a rock in my radiator a few years back. I had a new one put on and before the year was up I had to get another so it was covered. A few months latter I had to have another radiator put in? Ford said it was after market and they have bad luck with them. I had to have ANOTHER one put before that year was up. With this one I keep having a leak to the left side of the radiator its the same place where ALL the other radiators leak. this time its not coming from my radiator but from the over flow tank next to the washer fluid. I also thought a few weeks ago that I needed ANOTHER radiator but it was a hose that came loose.I dont know where to go from here with all theses issue and fill like I need to get a new car because Ford said they think I may have a cracked in my heads and its expensive just to EVEN check to see if this is even the case. I was looking and reading and I think MAYBE its the same issue a few of you are having with the lines? I have always found most of the issue on this site and printed the info and showed FORD what do you all think about all this.....

I just discovered that both of these fittings were leaking transmission fluid on an early build (29 March 2006) 2007 Job 1 Sport Trac with a 4.6 V8.

This great video provides a reference to the Dorman 800-621 fittings with double O-Rings:

I put a cable tie around the plastic retaining clips to ensure they can't get knocked off. This also solidifies the connection between the cooler line and fitting, preventing further movement and leakage.

Leaking trans fluid cooler fitting.jpg
Trans fluid cooler fitting compare.jpg
Dorman 800-621 Pre-Install.jpg
Sealed trans fluid cooler fitting.jpg

Back