Transmission fluid level on 2003 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid level on 2003 Explorer?

JS_IN_KY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, 2003 Explorers
Yesterday I put my 2003 V6 Explorer on a lift to check the transmission fluid. I had it warmed up, checked transmission fluid temp on my scanner before removing the small inner plug with a T30 torx. This was the first time I've checked it since we recently bought this vehicle. When the plug was removed a flood of Mercon 5 came out so quickly that where was no way I could have even put the plug back in. It finally slowed to a slow drip and I reinstalled the plug. Is it possible someone could have grossly over filled it like that? I'm not sure how they would have put the plug back in with that much fluid in it unless they filled it with it cold and the engine off? I had to leave after that and haven't had time to drive the vehicle yet to see if it shifts normally.

Yesterday I put my 2003 V6 Explorer on a lift to check the transmission fluid. I had it warmed up, checked transmission fluid temp on my scanner before removing the small inner plug with a T30 torx. This was the first time I've checked it since we recently bought this vehicle. When the plug was removed a flood of Mercon 5 came out so quickly that where was no way I could have even put the plug back in. It finally slowed to a slow drip and I reinstalled the plug. Is it possible someone could have grossly over filled it like that? I'm not sure how they would have put the plug back in with that much fluid in it unless they filled it with it cold and the engine off? I had to leave after that and haven't had time to drive the vehicle yet to see if it shifts normally.
@JS_IN_KY
First, why were you checking the level in the first place? Symptoms of trouble?
Second, fluid level is correct when the standpipe drips a bit out when plug removed. Of course, it could have been overfilled. Was it serviced recently? imp

Did you have the engine running when you checked it?

What imp said. There's a Youtube video with FordTech Makeolo (sp). You had the car level on the lift, right?

I've found these transmissions to be tricky to get the level just right. Makeolo only recommends a 10-minute warmup (roughly), which seems to not be full temp. I forget what the Ford temp spec is, exactly, but can look it up if you cannot find it. I think I've read that you're supposed to shift it into each gear (with the foot on the brake all the while, of course), and then back in park with the engine on.

You did good, since Ford insists that overfilled transmissions break them. You'll know you got too much out if it's slow to engage (or with a slight clunk) from a stop sign/light.

Back