• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Question

PSfan

Reaction score
City, State
Cochrane, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
Hi everybody, I have recently acquired a 1991 Explorer XLT 4x4. When I checked the transmission fluid last week I noticed it was thin, brown and smelt a little burnt. I was planning on changing it, however I’ve been warned that putting new fluid into a high mileage vehicle that hasn’t been regularly maintained might be harmful to the transmission, So not knowing the service records for my truck, I’m a little hesitant to undertake this project if the result would be a dead truck I’ve only had for a month.

Also, my Haynes repair manual doesn’t tell me my fluid capacity for my transmission, but has 4 or 5qts based on newer transmissions which sounds low compared to the 10qts which is what is written in my owners manual. So how much fluid should I expect to have to put in?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope that eventually I be able to answer some questions along with asking them...

Brendan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your total system capacity (according to chiltons) is 9.7qts. If you had a manual transmission the capacity would be 5.6qts. Perhaps that was your problem.

Have no fear with changing the ATF in old cars. Mine had been changed at 40K and 80K before I changed mine last week at 130K. Do yourself a favor and do a whole system change (as opposed to simply dropping the pan and replacing some fluid). Click here for instructions on how to flush everything out.

just take it to a shop, pay the 80 bucks to have it put on a tranny flush machine, then after its flushed, changed the filter, do a complete service and flush

Flush the system twice? Thats a lot of ATF...

No need to flush twice.

Drop the pan, change filter, put it back together, replace the 3-5 quarts of ATF. THEN flush ( complete ) the system.

To add on to what al said: stop every quart or so when you flush out and pour another quart in. When the fluid turns cherry red, stop and re attach everything. Check fluid level and add more if necessary. Be sure not to add too much because it is MUCH easier to put ATF in than it is getting out (requiring another pan drop).

well. think of it this way....you put the new filter on....whats going into that new filter from the tranny lines and torque converter? is that old dirty fluid going into your new filter, do it your way...mines cleaner, its just what we advise customers do when they come into my shop

Install a drain plug while you have the pan off. Carefully, so as not to foul the parts inside the pan. Takes all of 8 minutes.

In your case (trans possibly never flushed before), my advice is to do a filter and fluid flush now, and then in about 3 weeks, drop the pan and change the filter AGAIN. You will not regret doing this simple preventative step.

good advice all.... definitely change it. It uses Mercon III. There is a thread by ALdive on a DIY full fluid changeout (I hesitate to call it a flush) and I highly recommend you do that and then drop the pan and replace the filter. MAKE sure you get a Fram transmission filter (microfelt). In this case, at least, Fram is best. Make sure you use the proper bolt for it and also remember to put the O-rings on the filter prior to installation (lube them with ATF or vaseline prior to assembly). The idea of a drain plug is a good one. Will save you some ATF baths in the future.

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunatly I didn't get around to doing the filter change and flush before more serious issues popped up (Working long hours during the week and bad weather the past couple of weekend are my lame ass excuses.)

Anyway, this past monday as I was leaving work my explorer started making a loud squeeling noise when in drive with resistance (on the brakes.) I reluctantly agreed to have a garage due the flush and filter change, but they didn't because they claimed to have found alot of metal filings in the transmission pan. However the truck still shift through all the gears fine. But the advice I've been given so far is, not do anything and run it till she blows.... :(

I am however still thinking of doing a flush and filter change to see if it will take care of the squeeling. but I wanted some more advice on this. Also the garage claimed to have cleaned the filter? so I was thinking of flushing the fluid today or tomorrow, and changing the filter in a couple of weeks...

Thanks again for the help I have gotten and will get on this... :)

There is a dip stick tube just behind the coil packs near the fire wall.

Check an automatic transmission with the transmission warmed up, shifted back and forth through the gears, and with the engine running. Just be careful reaching in there with the engine running. (Checking a transmission with the engine off will give a faulty reading!)

The dip stick tube is also the fill point for the transmission oil. You will need a special funnel (any parts store will have one for a couple bucks) with a narrow end to fit the dip stick tube to get oil in there.

It is likely that your transmission may be beyond what a simple flush can do for you if there was metal in the pan. I'd start looking for a replacement if it were me. I know -- just did mine for the 3rd time... :thumbdwn:

In my case, I've chosen the route of using salvage yard transmissions versus a good rebuild, which would likely be the longer-lived choice -- especially the one posted here by Glacier and company. I get transmissions from the local pull-a-part and I can swap it out in an afternoon, so I go that route.

Anyone want some rebuildable cores for the A4LD? I have several... :rolleyes:

Back