Transmission fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid

Stevensa99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford explorer xlt
Hello everybody! I love my old ford, and hope to your experience, to get some help.

I have some mystical issue with my old explorer xlt 1992. The few mounth ago the oil level in transmission began decreasing. There are no any serious leak under car. So one week ago its begun some strange problem. After 2-3 days it began to lose about 1.5 litre(about 1.35 quart) of the oil. The radiator is ok, no any leaks. If you have any idea i would be very appreciate you, to get your help.

Thanx beforehand!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible it has leaked in to the transfer case?
Trans output seal fails and trans fluid goes down....Transfer case fluid goes up.
Just a wild arsed guess.

Welcome to this forum! Check the vacuum line which is connected to the vacuum modulator for transmission fluid. I suspect that the diaphragm in the modulator is leaking.
Thanx for suggestion i'll check again today.

Welcome to this forum! Check the vacuum line which is connected to the vacuum modulator for transmission fluid. I suspect that the diaphragm in the modulator is leaking.
I have orders the new vacuum modulator, the oil level of engine icreased .. outside examine didnt show anythink seriosly leaking.. i guess you are right about membrane.

Excellent! Does anyone have a picture where that vacuum line is? Im curious.

Excellent! Does anyone have a picture where that vacuum line is? Im curious.
Its should be near of transmission.. depends of car. Here is example in the pic.
imgres

Does the 4r70w have such a thing? I'm pursuing this as its something that is important to watch for.

You don't have a vacuum modulator on that transmission. The A4LD which was used until 1995 on the Aerostar was the last Ford transmission to use a modulator, and a kick down cable. Everything they have now is electronic with solenoid blocks controlling the shift points.

Back