Transmission flush question

gypsyjoe11

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Sport Trac
Greetings,

I have a 2008 Sport Trac and the other day I tried to do a transmission flush after changing the filter. Mine is the 5r55s trani without the dip stick. I bought oil cooler adapter fittings figuring I could put it inline with the top return line to the transmission and connect them to my flush hoses. However, the connectors were the wrong sizes. I then thought of getting to the cooler in front of the radiator but it looks like you have to take the entire front bumper and grill off to get to it.

So I saw one of the lines to the cooler was easy to get at from an opening in the chrome grill. I cut the line it in half and used a barbed 1/2'' fitting in each side to connect to my clear tubing. I started the vehicle until I saw fluid comming out of one of them. I figured I was golden now and put the output in my empty jug and the input into a jug of fresh fluid.

To my surprise when I started it up fluid came out of both lines! I figured it was some backflow so I started it again and felt for suction. I didn't feel any suction and it started to come out both again. Tried it a 3rd time with the same result. I ended up putting it back the way it was and pumping the same amount of fluid back up into the trani pan.

Anyone have any idea why fluid was comming from both ends? Doesn't make sens to me.

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Had another look at the micro fiche. Looks like there was a transmission cooler option on these, but mine doesn't have it.

I had 2 lines at the back going into the bottom of the rad. When I contacted the service department at my local dealership to see about a transmission flush they said it was a big No No on these transmissions. they recommended I drop the pan and just change the filter, for a mere 175 beans. Needless to say I did it myself. These transmissions only use MERCON V, anything else will not work. and mine took 5 liters with a filter change. I confirmed it was full by pumping fluid into the fill hole with the truck level and running warmed up in park, until it came out in a smooth flow from the fill hole in the bottom of the pan.

The truck has 50K on it and it was never changed and had no leaks. So I measured what came out and after changing the filter I pumped the same amount of MERCON V back in. pumping the fluid back in took longer than taking the pan on/off and changing the filter, LOL.

Back