Transmission Guru Help Needed (diagnose) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Guru Help Needed (diagnose)

rgcme33

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mounty AWD V8
02 Mounty V8 AWD. 128k miles.
Transmission makes ticking sound between gear changes.
The ticking sounds like engine ticking, but its the trans (only does it in gear at shifts)
No ticking first 5 mins driving each day.
Trans fluid service history unknown. Presume original fluid.
No noticeable flare.
Moderate delayed upshifting.

The ticking is most apparent in the 1-2 shift, and slightly quieter each gear up. Right when the trans begins the shift the ticking starts, and it continues untill next gear is engaged. Ticking speed is variable with engine/trans. speed.

It sound so much like engine ticking that i was sure my engine was the problem, but its definitely tha trans. If youve heard a v8 tick before thats exactly what my trans sounds like at each shift. It probably did it all summer but i couldnt hear it over the ac+ radio. You cant really hear it in the cabin unless the windows are down.

I know a fluid drain and fill is in order, but i need some help about what to replace to fix the tick. Surely someone has had this issue and can give me some thoughts. Thanks in advance

Could be a wonder couse my Mounty when the tranny used to work it had a tic too and it used to change by the temperature/usage of the truck startic by a fast tic then mecoming like a tick/whine (because of the speed of the tic) then when it shifted like it became lowers and diferesnt, then started to sound like a leak of fluids, and i thought it was tranny 2... but it had the noise @ Neutral or Parking 2... so... when i finish up fixing it if it still sounds.... well... ill post it to let u know

i was guessing axhaust

sorry had to hit and run!!! LOL
been tralking to the boys and we are guessing if its not the transsmission having a leak somewhere either torque ocnverter of body valce
shoudl be exhaust gasket .. remember that Heat changes the ........ummm (sorry english is not my first language) changes the fisical state of the metal and can cause to leak or stop lekaing

Back