Transmission help!! 5r55s shift solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission help!! 5r55s shift solenoid?

foxracr

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger
Hi I've got a 2006 explorer 4.0l that I cannot figure out what to do next. So it wont shift without giving it gas or waiting like 10 seconds. It has a hard time shifting up, it will just slip and slam into gear. I ran my code scanner on it and got a p0750 and p0760 shift solenoid codes. I went ahead and dropped the pan and replaced the shift solenoid block. There was a few small flakes of metal in the pan and the transmission fluid is burnt. I put it all back together and its still throwing the same codes and still not working, hesitant reverse gear and slipping drive gears. At this point I dont know what to do next. I also couldn't get the bulkhead connector to tighten down to the solenoid pack, it might be plugged in but doesnt seem like it will tighten all the way, might have stripped it whoops. I dont know what codes would be thrown if it wasnt connected properly? Any advice would be really appreciated!

More than likely the transmission has internal damage, the burnt fluid and debris is never a good sign.

FIrst thing as always when trying to diagnose transmission problems is you HAVE to know what kind of fluid pressures the pump is making. Sure, you may have solenoid codes, but without the proper hydraulic pressure, nothing will work properly. When a transmission slips and bangs into gear, this means that the rotating parts being stopped by the clutches or bands do not stop rotating until the accumulator has reached full travel, then there is nothing to cushion the hydraulic forces (clutch packs must stop rotating BEFORE the accumulator is full of fluid). If your fluid was severely burned or black when you drained it, chances are your going to need to have at a minimum the fictions and steels replaced, this means a complete rebuild. Then again, burned fluid and frictions is just a symptom of the problem at hand, this brings us back to where we need to know what the hydraulic pressures are.

Back