• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Help

silver03svt

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 SVT Cobra
Just finished the solenoid pack swap and filter change today. Truck is an '04 with 4.0, 194k miles. All original. Symptoms were a loss of 2nd gear. Truck would run 1st gear up to about 4k rpm's and then shifted straight to 3rd gear. O/D Off light flashed and CEL was on.

Prior to doing the work, I unhooked both battery terminals to reset the computer. Noticed that trans fluid was dark, but no burnt smell to it. No abnormal stuff in the pan bottom. Did the solenoid swap, torqued everything correctly, and trans fluid fill.

Took the truck out for test drive, and O/D Off light started flashing and still no 2nd gear. Only difference now is that there is no CEL.

Questions I would like info on please:

1. Do I need a scan tool to clear out the previous codes in order for the computer to relearn the shift into 2nd gear?

2. Should I consider doing the servo fix as well and hope this will fix the 2nd gear issue?

3. Skip the two above and find a good used 5R55 and replace what's in there?

If you have no 2nd gear then you also have no OD gear. If you've been driving it long like that without manually turning the OD off every time you start the vehicle then you've most likely burnt up the OD band. You can try tightening the band to specs.

Index of /Explorer/Transmission

Back