Transmission installation problem on a 1998 Ford Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission installation problem on a 1998 Ford Explorer.

megadan1111

Reaction score
City, State
somonauk
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer xtl
im installing a transmission on a 98 ford explorer xtl...ohc 4.0...this is one of the hardest transmissions ive tried to put in on the ground,i thought it would be easy since its rear wheel drive...im stuck....am i suppose to put the bolts on the converter first or just line it up and push it in,anyway its getting me frustrated and would like advice,any advice would help,can the converter pull out of the trans if i tighten up the bolts cause it wont go in any further????thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the atsg manual for your trans? install procedure is pretty well documented. don't know if you took apart the front pump too, but i know that the direction of the gears are important to fully seating the tc. i just did my '94 a4ld two months ago and it went a little something like this...

Set the converter on the shaft and make sure it is fully seated. i think you will feel two bumps as it goes onto the output and pump shafts. if it isn't fully seated you will have problems. put the separator plate on the bellhousing and temporarily zip tie in two of the side bolt holes to keep it in place. align and raise the transmission into place slowly and keep the bellhousing end elevated so the tc doesn't move out of its seat. once the tc bolts reach the flywheel, have someone rotate the engine by the flywheel in a clockwise motion (important!) only as you align the holes with each of the studs through the starter motor hole. torque all the tc studs and bell housing bolts and you should be done.

hope that helps, and please keep in mind that we are all volunteers here... you might not get an answer right away, but then again with patience you are saving a lot of money doing the work yourself.

okay,i keep putting it up,getting the tc bolts in,then it popps out,ill try rotating the flywheel clockwise and see what happens....ty for posting

okay,i keep putting it up,getting the tc bolts in,then it popps out,ill try rotating the flywheel clockwise and see what happens....ty for posting

Sorry if I made your job any more difficult by being unclear, especially if you are in the heat we are in in the northeast... I would not put any of the nuts on the studs for the TC until the transmission is pushed all the way in. The goal is to just align the studs with the flywheel and then bolt in the bellhousing bolts. Then once it is all tight do you rotate the engine to tighten each of the TC studs one by one. If the TC keeps popping out, try and angle the transmission downward in the rear on the transmission jack (or prop it up in the front if using another "jack"). This will help keep the TC seated while you get it all aligned and in place.

Let me know if you need any other guidance! :cool:

trans install problems

Im installing a trans from an 01 ranger to a 00 explorer xlt ohc, tc is fully seated in trans when i raise the trans into place and get the tc bolts thru the flexplate the trans doesnt wanna go any further any ideas why?

If you had the center shaft out, you may have put it in the wrong way and the torque converter is not fully seated. The end of the shaft with the short spline goes in the trans, long spline end goes into the torque converter. When the Torque converter is fully seated in the trans pump, the pilot on the torque converter should be .430 to .560 below the front edge of the bell housing.

right thats exactly what it was but its seems to not wanna meet the block of the motor its about an inch gap and just doesnt wanna go any further, im using the torque converter that came on the trans are the tc different between the ranger and explorer?

n made sure the tc was fully seated but just wont go the last inch

tc is lined up right just wont go the last inch to the block i used the tc that came with the 01 ranger tranny any ideas why it wont meet the block?

There might be a nick on the TC pilot that won't let it go into the center hole in the crankshaft.
I assume the range engine was also a 4.0 SOHC?

it goes into the pilot hole and the tc is fully seated in the trans its just when i go to bolt it up it wont mate the block of the motor any other ideas would b great

You did remove the dip stick tube from the new trans? Is it lined up straight, the back is not hanging down. Also there isn't an alignment pin (tube) in one of the trans holes as there already should be 2 in the block.

yes i did remove the dip stick tube it seems like it might b the angle in which im going at, as soon as i get the tc bolts through it leaves me about an inch gap i knw i said this already but im starting to run out of ideas. is the tc the same from a 01 ranger 5r55e to a 00 explorer xlt both 6 cyl? explorer is sohc 4.0, any suggestions wud help out alot

I am out of ideas, as far as I know all 5R55E torque converters are the same, if off 4.0 engines.

See if the trans will fit the engine block without the torque Converter

is that just gonna tell me theres something wrong with the tc if it bolts up?

spacer inserted?

The manual clutch flywheel is thicker than the automatic flexplate. There is a spacer that fits between the flexplate and the crankshaft to make up the difference. Did you remember to install it?

FlexPlat.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought that the Explorer and the Ranger were both 4.0 automatics?
Yes, it will only tell you that there is a possible flywheel, or torque converter problem.
You are sure that the end of the Torque converter, when assembled is about a 1/2 inside or below the outer edge of the bell housing?
If you don't have the 5R55E ATSG manual download it here
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310331

Back