Transmission issue after HARD BRAKING. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue after HARD BRAKING.

Fbird

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
06 Limited 2wd. 95k. I have owned it for 3 days now!!! Just did the brakes and upon bedding them in my last stop was 50->0 HARD (felt the ABS). Once stopped i noticed truck didn't pull when I hit the gas. (like low on tranny fluid)Only lasted a second or 2 BUT...i have read this is an issue with the 5R55S trans. I have NOT read anything about a FIX. (I am currently reading the stickies.....)

Is this something that the superior or trans-go shift kit helps address?

just found my trans code it is actually a 5r55S .....do the S and the E trannys share the same parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope....no Christmas lights. As this is a new to me truck, I have no seat time with it YET. Just put tags on it yesterday only to have left rear caliper hanging up smoking the brakes!!!! She is parked waiting on new rotors and all 4 brake hoses.

I am curious as to how one "checks" the tranny fluid level?
warm
level
remove CENTER bolt and .....
"some" fluid should come out? fluid should "slowly stream out"?...

Better yet how to you "top it off"? Pump some in until it comes back out?

I have NOT delved into this YET ...just some info i have picked up in learning about the shift kit/fix stuff ..HERE in the stickies.

Looks like you found out why the previous owner dumped it. Level should be checked/filled like anything with a fill-to hole.

Car manufacturers stopped using dipsticks on transmissions years ago because they don't want people adding the wrong fluid. Checking or adding fluid is difficult for the average person, so they make you go to a place with a lift. Ramps creates an incline which causes a false reading since the fluid is pitched toward the rear.

yay....and CHIT!!
Fixed the brakes 100% (dead MC)...after fixing brakes during testing the tranny did NOT show the "neutral" low fluid FEELING after hard stops!! YAY

Then today simply taking off from a light....BANG...chit broke. argh.

yay....and CHIT!!
Fixed the brakes 100% (dead MC)...after fixing brakes during testing the tranny did NOT show the "neutral" low fluid FEELING after hard stops!! YAY

Then today simply taking off from a light....BANG...chit broke. argh.
Did the trany brake, is the Ex ok?
Maybe the brakes are sticking after hard braking?

Check the brake pad wear pattern to see if one pad is more worn down than the other. Maybe a caliper piston isn't releasing when it's supposed to, and the caliper is applying pressure without applying the brakes.

Tranny sites good... lost an axle...made different thread...but NO tranny issues discovered...yay

Back