Transmission Issue, Possibly Servo Pins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issue, Possibly Servo Pins

iowa_hick

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
Last night when I was driving home, I noticed that when I had the cruise set at 60, it would run at around 1800 rpm, then jump up to 2300, then drop back down again. Eventually it threw a transmission code, P0732.

It's a 2002 Eddie Bauer with the 4.6l automatic 4x4. My initial thought was low transmission fluid, but after doing some research, I'm wondering if it's the servo pins. Can anyone tell me if these symptoms would confirm that? Anything else I should check besides fluid before I order a set?

Thanks!
Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Servo issues usually show up during the shift as a flare or slip, once in gear they tend to hold.

P0732 is gear ratio code for 2nd gear, 2nd gear and 5th gear share the same band and guessing on the symptom it sounds like it might be falling out of 5th which can throw a P0735 along with the P0732. The back and forth shifting is not a symptom of a broke or burnt band, I find the converter clutch will do that.

So I would redrive it and try to conform what exactly going on, is it downshifting out of 5th or is the converter engaging and disengaging.

Check for more codes.

Thanks! I'll check that out, but based on your description, I'm thinking you may be correct. If it is the converter clutch, could low transmission fluid cause it? Is there any chance clean fluid would delay the issue so I didn't have to change the converter just yet?

Thanks,
Jake

Low fluid will typically cause other issues with the transmission before it would cause the converter to cycle on and off, however make sure the level is correct before trying to do any other dianoises.

Changing the fluid does help with converter issues like slipping/shudders and shifting issues with the trans so you may see a difference with the way it works after a fluid change.

Keep in mind that if the converter is what you find to be the issue it might not be the converter itself, so just changing the converter may not fix it.

I just test drove it again and it threw P0775 and P0735. I'm leaning back towards the servo pins again.

Is there anything else I should order first?

Thanks,
Jake

Your only hope is to replace the OD servo and hopefully you will find a damaged/broken servo, they are known to fail.

Worn servo bores that the servo "pins" ride in typically cause issues during the shift not once it has already shifted into the gear.

2013-08-23 16.57.13.jpg

Back