Transmission issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue?

Sexplorerr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Ford Explorer EB
Transmission problems plus new problem HELP

I've had my explorer for almost a month now and love it nothing to complain about till now. But recently shes developed a weird shift. She will wanna shift into 3rd but will quickly jump up about 500 rpm shift then drop back down. Doesn't matter if cold or warm it will do it now. Fluid level is good and clean previous owners must have had it changed. All the other shifts are just as normal just except 2-3 and also, the shift problem doesn't change weather im in o/d or not it will still do it. Light or moderate throttle doesn't matter. What are some things I should looking into diagnosing, testing ect. Any imput would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

And oh if you must know, 2000 Explorer EB 4.0SOHC 5r55e AWD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if you have a blown valve body gasket, and are experiencing the 2-3 shift flare.

I wonder if you have a blown valve body gasket, and are experiencing the 2-3 shift flare.

I did just a lil bit of researching last night and that seems to be a common problem with this trans i wasnt aware about. Gasket kit is cheap so soon i think ill dig into and see whats up. But is this a major problem? Like if i let it go for a while will it lead into other problems?

Those 5r55e/s/w transmissions are notorious for the 2-3 shift flare. Had it in my 03 Mountaineer at 59K and again to a lesser extent at 83K, my mom just went through it with her Aviator at 110K except hers was so bad they just replaced the transmission.

For my 03 it was clutch packs and shift solenoids plus I think they adjusted the bands, not 100% sure on that though, this was back in 2008.

Those 5r55e/s/w transmissions are notorious for the 2-3 shift flare. Had it in my 03 Mountaineer at 59K and again to a lesser extent at 83K, my mom just went through it with her Aviator at 110K except hers was so bad they just replaced the transmission.

For my 03 it was clutch packs and shift solenoids plus I think they adjusted the bands, not 100% sure on that though, this was back in 2008.

Oh wow. Yea i hope not be at the point. It doesnt bother me that bad but id rather have it be cheap repair then an expensive tranny swap/overhaul.

HELP! I was on my way home im still having the 2-3 shift flare. But now on my way home my o/d light started to flash and truck is stuck in limp mode. If I turn the truck off and start it back up the light will stop flashing, will shift harsh plus the 2-3 flare and light will start flashing again. Now my question is if I scan the truck will I get tranny codes or is this just a fail safe way so trans doesn't blow? Any suggestions greatly appreciated guys

Correct that is the first step, getting the transmission codes. Ford transmission codes require a special scanner.

Correct that is the first step, getting the transmission codes. Ford transmission codes require a special scanner.

Now my question is that ive been driving around all morning doing stuff and the o/d light hasnt been flashing wich is odd. Since it tripped a code already but the light went away wouldnt there still be a stored code in the TCM's memory?

Scanned the truck code is p0733 gear 3 incorrect ratio :(

Bump.

Take it to a trans shop.

Well just a bit of an update. Its been at the trans shop since saterday and ill be picking it up tomarrow hopefully. Valvebody gasket went on it (what everyone was saying) burned a band some clutches and also servos were shot. The bores were surprisingly not too shabby. Geuss thats what happens when you procrastonate lol. Went a head and did a full rebuild transgo shift kit to fix that typical sloppy shift updated bonded valvebody gaskets the whole kit and kaboodle. Hopefully she will better then when she rolled out of the facotry. Also i plan to tow with my Ex, i have the 4.0sohc 5r55e 4wd eddiebauer model. With a class lll whats the max tow spec on it? Ill post my findings on how i think the transgo kit works compared to the stock internals.

Back