• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue

explorer 02 don

Reaction score
City, State
tulsa
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 expl limited 4.64x4
So I've posted on here before about having 4x4 issues with my explorer but the other day I went to work transmission did fine on the way to work stopped at a store did fine got to work pulled in went to back into my space lost reverse first second and drive have 3rd gear is there something I should know here or is the tranny shot I pulled the pan fluid look good there was a little bit of shavings in the pan but nothing major pulled the servo the seals look good on reverse is there something I can do or is it just a complete replace I know these vehicles are problematic with the five 5r55ws

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar issue before. I lost all gears though. Pretty sure I didn't have 3rd. Problem was the overdrive sprag. I'm thinking maybe you could have broken a low/reverse band or something happened to the reverse servo. Can you start in 3rd then shift to D and keep going? Any codes or lights?

Edit: I just read your other post where you said you lost overdrive as well. Can you clarify what gears you have and what you don't?

I had a similar issue before. I lost all gears though. Pretty sure I didn't have 3rd. Problem was the overdrive sprag. I'm thinking maybe you could have broken a low/reverse band or something happened to the reverse servo. Can you start in 3rd then shift to D and keep going? Any codes or lights?

Edit: I just read your other post where you said you lost overdrive as well. Can you clarify what gears you have and what you don't?
Third gear that's all

Did this happen at the same time you switched the 4x4 module and it did that weird stuff?

It's weird that you only have 3rd. I have never heard of that before especially with no codes. Have you tried resetting by disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery and touching it to the positive for 10 minutes? I'm stumped on this one.

The only thing thing I can come up with is some type of electrical failure. 3rd gear is the only gear that uses the intermediate band. Which may be purely mechanical when shifting manually to 3rd. I'm attaching a link. This may help. Check any fuses and relays shown on there. It also has some electrical diagnostic procedures that could help. The page might be in Russian or something, but just click the big green button to download the document.
5R55W

are you sure MANUAL 1 and 2 dont work? not drive, but MANUAL 1 and 2?

There's still a possibility that it's the overdrive sprag. Usually when the od sprag goes you will lose all gears (sometimes having a gear or 2 for a short while) but it will usually at least rock the vehicle when you try to move it. And then after a little bit you lose them entirely. Try jacking up the back tires off the ground and then put it in gear. If the wheels turn at all in drive, 1st, 2nd, or reverse when it's off the ground, then it's probably the od sprag.

Back