Transmission Issues in a 2002 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issues in a 2002 Ford Explorer

albertenstein22

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford XLT custom
So, long story short, my transmission as of late has been acting weird. I own a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0L V6, and has just passed the 170,000 mile mark on all original trans and motor. For the past month, however, it seems that the transmission has begun to act funky. For example, I will start my car up, shift into reverse or drive, and wait. And wait. Finally, the car will go into gear. Another thing I noticed with my Explorer lately is when I have to lock up the brakes (rarely, but it happens), the car refuses to move after letting off the brakes. I will give it a little gas, the engine revs up, then the car lurches forward and stalls out and dies. I have no idea what is going on with it, and I wanted to post on here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or can diagnose what is going wrong before I take it somewhere to get fixed and pay through the nose. Any information someone may have helps! Thank you for your time! :)

New valve body will take care of the hesitation from D-R more than likely. You should read through some of the stickys above to find out more about it.
Braking issue I don't know about, have never had that particular problem.

D

Back