• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issues

Truckinmario

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
Just bought a 99 explorer, with the SOHC and the 5r55e. I bought it with the PO stating that it has transmission issues. "Made a big clunk wouldn't go forward put it in reverse and parked it" When I picked it up today I put it in gear and it works in all gears. However it feels like its slipping in all gears, like it takes a lot of rpms to get it to go, and none of the gears will move under idle. all gears however will move the vehicle. The fluid level looks fine, smells clean, and looks pinkish like it should. I'm thinking torque converter. How about y'allls thoughts. One strange thing I found is that on the idiot gauges its not showing a lot of volts. Im assuming that since the 5r55e is computer controlled that could cause some issues. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...One strange thing I found is that on the idiot gauges its not showing a lot of volts. Im assuming that since the 5r55e is computer controlled that could cause some issues. Any ideas?

Invest $10-$20 in simple multimeter (occasionally they are free at Harbor Freight with a coupon), then measure the voltage across the battery terminals. With the engine at about 2000 RPM and headlights on (to create some load) you should see around 14V. If it's much less (say below 13), you have a bad alternator or corroded wiring.
And, if I may risk a guess, the low voltage (real or imaginary) has nothing to do with your transmission problems.

Welcome to this forum! Is there a check engine light or a flashing overdrive light? It sounds like the hydraulic pressure is low. Check the main pressure, and the EPC pressure with a 0 - 300 PSI test gauge.

Welcome to this forum! Is there a check engine light or a flashing overdrive light? It sounds like the hydraulic pressure is low. Check the main pressure, and the EPC pressure with a 0 - 300 PSI test gauge.
No cel or flashing od light
How do I go about checking those pressures? Is there a how to or is Google my friend :)

I would think torque converter also, but that would probably show up on diagnostics. Make sure the parking brake isn't seized also, that can give same symptoms.

Parking break seems fine in just Rollin resistance. It wont move under idle in any gear. It takes fuel in all reverse included. Still no cel or overdrive light. Transition fluid looks and smells as it should. Time to check pressure, I read the how to, however I didn't find the pressure at which each gear should be. Looks like it's time to use that search button. Although I will say I'm getting closer to yanking this think and putting my m5r1 in it.

This diagram should help:
5E-5R55E_pressure_test_points_with_specifications_.jpg

Back