• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issues

acres90

Reaction score
City, State
lockney, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer
I've got an '07 exp with 4.0 and 2 wheel drive. I bought it in 2012 with 65k miles. It now has 198k miles. My issue ive noticed is sometimes when i shift into reverse it will jerk very hard. And just yesterday i noticed when shifting from second to third, its like it is in nuetral and if i let off the gas third will catch. I know the car is not worth much, is it worth $2000 for a new trans? Oh and its due for a set of tires. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or should I not fix it and just part it out? A local mechanic quoted me a price of $2200 for a rebuild, and a junk yard quoted me a price of $850 for one out of a wreck (not sure of mileage).

Do you still like it ?
It's a matter of the transmission cost versus a new/used car payment.
And at that mileage the engine may need a rebuilt soon.
Don't get a tranny from a junkyard.

Do you still like it ?
It's a matter of the transmission cost versus a new/used car payment.
And at that mileage the engine may need a rebuilt soon.
Don't get a tranny from a junkyard.

I still like it, still looks good. I just don't want it to be an endless money pit.

When I get to a point where a vehicle I am driving will be needing substantial repairs I look at what I would/could replace it with to help make a decision on keeping it. In your case it is likely that the 4.0L engine will be in need of timing gear in the near future and this is a very costly repair. Adding this to the cost of a transmission replacement and, IMO, the combined costs are not worth it to keep it going. I would look at other options you would consider buying to replace it. The cost of engine and tranny work on your '07 will get you a long way toward buying a low mileage 4th gen V8 Explorer or Mountaineer. I was faced with a similar situation and decided to upgrade from a 2002 XLT to a loaded 2010 Mountaineer with a V8 engine. So far I am very pleased with my decision.

Replacing is an option...just hate the idea of having payments again

If going with used, get the lowest mileage unit you can find as ANY 5R55W over 120,000 miles, unless hi way driven, is on borrowed time. Servo bores ware and bands break when city driven, allot of shift cycling. If someone will rebuild yours for $2200.00 and stand behind it, go for it! I charge 3-3500.00 with ALLOT of upgrades and a warranty.

Replacing is an option...just hate the idea of having payments again

I understand the car payment issue. I haven't had one since 1992 and I sure haven't missed them. The reason I went with a 2010 V8 is the 4.6L in these are very dependable and replacing timing chains, if ever needed, doesn't require engine removal and repair costs are lower. Also, the 4.6L engines in the 2009 and 2010 models use the 6R80 six speed transmission which, IMO, is much more reliable than the five speed autos used in the 2002-2010 4.0L models. You might replace the transmission and then have a major engine issue or the engine might go for several tens of thousands of miles with no issues. Another factor in making a decision if I were in your shoes is how is the overall condition of your 2007. Is the interior in good condition? Are there rust issues under the body or in the panels? What other items have you done recently like water pump replacements, drive train repairs, wheel bearing replacement etc. that add value in leaning you toward keeping it? If you have done little in the way of major repairs since you have owned it then these repairs are headed your way. It isn't a matter of "if" but "when" they will occur. If you are faced with a chain of repairs that are typical for these models then what you spend to keep this vehicle on the road will exceed the purchase price of a decent 2010 V8 Explorer/Mountaineer. I got my 2010 for $6,000 knowing it needed a radiator and tires. It was in excellent condition and never spent time in an area where the roads were salted of in coastal areas. It also had a clean Carfax and showed a lot of maintenance had been done for it. I spent around $2k getting tires, replacing the radiator (and water pump since it was easy at this point) and did fluid changes in the transmission, transfer case and differentials. I am at $8k all in and have a vehicle that is much better equipped and more reliable overall. Plus, I got $2,800 for the 2002 XLT since it was sold running well and only needing wheel bearings.

In the end, only you know what is the best decision for you. I am just offering some possibilities to consider as you decide. One last thing to add is that if you can do all the labor for the repairs you might need then keeping it going is much more viable. If you are going to be paying someone to do any repair work then things could get very costly.

Edit:
One other thing you might want to consider is installing a pre-oiler for the motor. This will extend the life of a decent running 4.0L engine a great deal and is worth considering if you decide to invest money into a new transmission.

I've thought about it and I think what im going to do is get a tranny from a wrecking yard, clean it up real good and put a for sale sign on it.

This would likely be my decision too.

Back