transmission jerking into second | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

scripteaze

Reaction score
City, State
Mothers Womb
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hello forum!, good to see such a strong community, awesome!.

Ok well, here is my issue(s)

I put my 99 explorer XLT 5.0 v8 into drive, start to move forward and all of the sudden, the car "hard" shifts into second gear. It's not slipping, its just jerking hard into the next gear. It happens everytime. Im not flooring the gas pedal, just driving normal.

Also, im sure this is unrelated, however, When im driving, i can hear a sound that sounds like im using knobby tires? Only hear it when my foot is on the gas pedal, like a winding sound. It is constant. as well.

Thanks for your time, we are all busy and our time is important. Thanks again :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a sound that sounds like im using knobby tires? Only hear it when my foot is on the gas pedal, like a winding sound

This sounds like a dry or worn u joint to me.

a sound that sounds like im using knobby tires? Only hear it when my foot is on the gas pedal, like a winding sound

This sounds like a dry or worn u joint to me.

Thanks for the response, Im not a car person, so not sure where that is, just had all the ball joints replafed and controller arms. Is that something that the mechanic should have swapped out at that time?

Thanks again:salute:

U joints are at the ends of your drive shaft. Look under your car and it's the 3 to 4" tube running from the trans to the rear diff or axle. May have two of them, one at the front and one at the rear of the shaft. Search u joint either on this site or you tube. And no it would have nothing to do with your ball joints and control arms

1-2 accumulator springs break and cause a harsh shift. Very common on on older 4r70w transmissions.

On the "whinning" sound, did you check the wheel hub assemblies? Does it do it going straight and turning in one direction and them stop when turning in a different direction?

I second the 1-2 accumulator spring had the same issue with my 96 5.0 awd replaced the spring with one from a shift improver kit and it has shifted smooth and correctly since. as for your other issue check the fluid levels in your transfercase and rears also check the front wheel bearings.

Back