transmission leak

BigDave!!!

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD
well a few days ago i noticed a wet spot underneath the truck so i put my wiped it with a rag to see what color it was and it was red so i knew it was transmission fluid. i go back out today after wiping the transmission free of any fluid a few days ago and see that it is slowly leaking out.

i have a 97 with the 5R55E transmission and that is the extent of my knowledge of the transmission. the fluid seems to be dripping from the end of the transmision right before the driveshaft and the top of the crossmember also seems to be wet with fluid. as of now the fluid level is good and it is dripping at a very slow rate.

i searched and searched on here but could not find a conclusive answer to what might be the problem, it also doesnt help that i know nothing what so ever about transmissions. any help would be much appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check and see if the seal around the driveshaft is leaking might just be a rear seal leaking. Is it leaving a big spot of fluid or just alittle ?

ok ill check it in the morning, its only leaving a little spot, about 2" in diameter if it sits for a day

tailshaft leak, as there is no tcase on your truck

I'd clean the tailshaft housing end real good and let it sit and idle for 20 mins or so and recheck. It certainly, in a 2WD sounds like a tailhousing seal leak. If you find that's what it is I will GIVE you a FREE replacement seal, I have a bunch I have been resisting throwing away - you get one in every A4LD rebuild kit, but they are not used obviously in a 4WD... so they pile up.

i just did that and it is leaking through the tailshaft. Glacier, if you could give me that replacement seal that would be awesome. Also, what do you think might have caused the leak?

Happy to help, I can loan you a special driver for it too. As to the cause, while there can be identifiable things that cause it, more often than not, it's just bad karma, kismet.... or fate. PM me an address and I will get you off the seal, the tool and some directions. Just send the tool back with roundtrip shipping and we'll be square.

I'll be sending you the seal puller and driver and a new seal, along with directions. Should be an easy task with the right tools, which you will have.

late note: all packed and ready to ship tomorrow.

Let us know how it went?

Back