Transmission Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Leak

indianajohn

Reaction score
My 91 Explorer (2WD with auto trans) began leaking transmission fluid from between the rear of the engine and the front of the transmission. It began leaking badly while driving up steep roads into the mountains, but when I refilled the fluid and took it easy on the transmission, the leak tapered off and eventually stopped. Now it seems fine, but I'm not sure if there is still a problem. Has anyone had this kind of thing happen? Thanks for your input.
-jm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've experienced the exact same thing. It only happened going up stevens pass. Which is pretty steep. the first two times I lost 1-2 quarts of fluid. The third time it blew around 5 quarts and burned up my tranny,but just the forward gear. Any way i'm having it rebuilt tommorrow. I would recommend having it checked before it gets to bad.

Yes, I too have had that problem. I was trail scouting one afternoon, and while climbing a hill, I pushed a front tire off the rim (probably driver error.) Anyway, I got winched up to the top of the hill to change my tire. While being winched, I used the engine to turn the rear wheels (in 2WD). So doing, heated up the trans, and fluid drained out. I added some fluid at the top of the hill, and drove out.

At the car wash that evening, after washing the underside, when I started the truck, more fluid leaked out. Topped it off again. I had a small leak for the rest of the week. The following weekend, I changed fluid and filter, and it hasn't leaked since!

I don't know and I'm afraid to ask!!

------------------
Scott
sjbosso@mindspring.com

I have a 92 Explorer and it is in the shop this morning for the same thing. There are three rubber plugs at the top of the transmission that leak. This is a common problem and you should have these replaces with metal ones ( recommended). If you are lucky this is all that is wrong. With mine I have to replace the Trans gasket and the plugs. The Plugs I could do myself or $60 labor but they have to drop the trans. To replace the seal and now it going to cost $350.00 You should get this looked at right away as you know what will happen if you run out of oil.

Kevin L

Dean
Who is rebuilding your auto transmission? I assume you were referring to the Stevens Pass in Wash. State. My 91XLT auto tranny is "tired" and needs TLC. Let us know how the rebuild works out. Thanks.

MikeP,
I'am getting the tranny done in marysville. I was at the shop when they were breaking down the tranny and there was hard part damage. $2500 to overhaul. So I'm just going to go with an already rebuilt one. I'm looking forward to driving the explorer again. It's been sitting for about 3 weeks and I should be getting it back tommorrow.

The problem could be a seal between the oil pump of the tranny and the torque converter. I hade this problem with my Bronco II(A4LD. The oil leaks when entering or exiting the torque converter(especially on hills where the torque conv. tend to empty itself in the tranny) and goes into the bell housing witch is not sealed on the motor....results...it leaks ont the street(nice think cause if it didn't leaked on the floor you wouldn't notice the problem...

Good luck with your tranny cause when A4LD problems starts...it never ends...I know something about it...

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

the prob is that the front seal is shot or the bushing behind it well i ask for a price and it was about $1000 canadian, and doing it your slef is a pain in the a$$ the seal was $12.00 well i did it my slef where what i did, remove the skid gards, jack up the tranny remove both drive shafts,remove the cross member, remove the tansfor case(it can't come out with tranny) now remove the y pipe and calited's then remove the tranny but first remove the starter and remove the tork con bolts, pri out the seal,get a pro to cheak the bussing then put it all toghter I told you it was a pain in the a$$ and it takes time and don't forget to punch the outter eages of the seal and tranny well that my 2 cents worth.
now I have a prob the books say that the explorer has a a4ld but the ford dealer and most of my buddys say not that most had a4ld but mine has an E4OD(my buddys where top of the class at ford and no there ****) my explorer hes the sc pack(super coolent) would this be the reason???? help me NOW
4dr,4x4,4speed,4.0L,4me

[This message has been edited by ex91 (edited 02-03-2000).]

I have a 92 Navajo that was leaking as well, I would just keep putting fluid in and didn't think much of it. On the way up to the Sierra's here in CA it blew a seal and after the trans was removed the mechanic explained what happened.
Apparently the trans had been rebuilt before, (prior to me buying it used 3 yrs ago), and when the bellhousing is replaced the bushing needs to be machined in place to make a perfect fit. Make sure this gets done if your having the trans rebuilt, it could save you big money.
The mechanic also new exactly what hill I was going up and he loves that hill because he gets major business from that hill.
Rt. 88 east going into the Eldorado National forest in Northern CA.

Hope this will save someone some $$'s

FM

Thanks for all the input guys, I haven't had time yet to drop the tranny to check it out, but now at least I know what to look for, and what to request if (more like when) it needs rebuilding.

Where are those rubber plugs at exactly on the top? Is it something I can check without having to drop the tranny? I have been messing with my aunts 91' with 170k on it.. once its warmed up from driving around.. when ya park and shut if off, it will leak a bunch of fluid.. I thought it was from the gasket so changed that and the filter.. twice.. and took it to a ford mechanic and he did the same.. still leaked.. I tried looking at everything I could but I have no idea where the fluid is coming from.. I also changed the vacuum modulator thingy incase it was leaking around it.. (and there was fluid in the line anyway) figured with 170k miles, it wouldn't hurt.. since its so hard to see around the frame rails in this thing, I am stumped.. any ideas? (I got a can of gunk and I'm going to jack it up later when I get around to it and clean things up... maybe I will be able to trace it then) the fluid leaks from the front passenger side and I don't think its the tube or cooler lines.. could it be those rubber plugs?

oh yeah.. I meant the front pas. side of the pan.. (still looks like gasket to me but I don't know) and I also forgot to mention that the mechanic said something about leaking around the servos or something? I was also told by someone else that the servo's are on the inside? ugg.. hehheh any one shed some light on this thing for me? thanks

Back