transmission leak

Maryk

Reaction score
City, State
St Pete
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Hi Every One!

I am the new owner of a 1996 Explorer V8. After driving a few days the trans started slipping. We found a transmission fluid leak. I have changed the pan gasket and filter. Tightened/torqued the bolts. Changed and replaced the o-ring on the VSS.

After 3 hours of searching/wiping/flashlight/ test driving/ wiping/searching etc..etc... I am convinced that the leak is coming from the junction of the transmission body and extension.

QUESTION....
Can I change the gasket between the tran and the extension without dropping the whole transmission?
The transmission runs perfectly as long as the fluid is topped off so I am keeping close watch on it until repair can be made.

I am a beginner so please give as much detail as you can if you are able to reply. I bought a Chilton which is a great resource but this is not covered.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to the extension between the transmission and the transfer case?

If so, there is a paper gasket in there. You can replace that by only dropping the transfer case. Be warned that you will probably need some special C-shaped wrenches to reach the bolts on top of the transfer case. Otherwise, removal is a pretty straightforward job - disconnect the driveshaft at the transfer case (4 bolts), disconnect the front driveshaft at the transfer case (another 4 bolts), disconnect the transfer case housing bolts (5 or 6 bolts). The assembly was light enough that I was able to remove it on my back, by hand - YMMV. (FYI I am about 180 lbs to give you an idea).

I have a 4R70W automatic transmission. The drive shaft comes right out of the extension and straight back to the rear differential. If I remove the drive shaft, then I could unbolt the extension. What happens when I take that extension off? Will I screw up anything?

Not 4wd. No transfer case.

Back