Transmission neutral safety switch P0705 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission neutral safety switch P0705

PRExplorer97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I have a 97 Explorer Sport that has code P0705. The engine still starts. In drive it shifts into 1st but it will not shift beyond that. In position 1 and 2 it will drive. It will shift into reverse. I replaced the neutral safety switch and adjusted several times but I still get P0705. Has anyone seen this problem and have advise? Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting

Was the code there before you installed the new DTRS?

96-97 use an analog DTRS while the 98-01 trucks had a digital signal DTRS
So we need to make sure your 97 has the correct unit.

P0705 is malfunction meaning the PCM is not seeing a signal from the DTRS at all
If the DTRS is new, proper part, adjusted properly (installed in N position) then this points to a problem with the wiring at the DTRS connecting pins or something in the wiring harness when it leaves the transmission and heads up to the back of the engine.
Without the signal from the trans to the PCM the computer has no idea when you are in D and cannot shift the truck like it should (these are computer controlled transmissions)
so until we solve the code I would not expect it to shift properly.

Yes the code was there before I installed the new one. Also this is the second new DTRS I have installed because I thought the first one I got was faulty. I will have to double check on it being the correct part.

I would start by checking all fuses, then lets get the wiring info and check the ground wire and power wire going to the dtrs we want to see that the dtrs is getting the signals it needs from the power distribution and PCM

Have you done any recent modifications? Trans rebuild? intake removal? etc etc anything that may have rattled/messed with the wiring harness?

I checked the part number and it is the correct part number for the DTRS. I bought the Explorer end of last year and the only thing I replaced were the coil and the headlights but that was done in February. It has 150,000 miles on it and it is clean.

interesting!
fuse 24 in the dash is 7.5 amp, this is your DTRS fuse

If the fuse checks out I have the DTRS wiring in front of me

I checked the fuse and it is good. I pulled it out and the engine would not turn over. I put it back in and the engine started. The fuse was a 10 amp though.

okay so now we need to look at the dtrs wiring to and from
For some reason your PCM is not seeing the signals from the DTRS, so there must be a broken wire in there somewhere

How are you at wiring? Do you have a multimeter? test light?

check the wires from the DTRS to the PCM
Check for power at the DTRS
check for ground at DTRS

lets see if I can find the wiring diagrams here

Back