• Register Today It's free!

transmission not working properly

william19101

Reaction score
City, State
philadelphia-area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 eb
I have a 94 E.B. Explorer auto, 116k,yesterday while driving, I went to excellerate, and got nothing. I coasted to an intersection, tried the other gears--still nothing.
Engine was running fine, but when ever I pressed on the gas no matter what gear I was in it didn't move. After having it towed, I checked on it today, and it moved in every gear but OD. I moved foward and back going through the gears, and it only refused to do anything roughy one time out of five.
The fluid level was fine, didn't seem burnt, I have not towed anything,no offroading, there was no overheating, or anything out of the ordinary. I had the fluid and filter changed about 4000 miles ago. And have not done anything but highway and a little city driving with it.
Any thoughts would help. I need to have an idea if I'm looking at a few dollars for a simple fix or thousands for a new tranny. If so which national chain is does the best work and price from those that have had to replace thiers.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey folks I could really use some advice hear. Am I looking at a dead Tranny or what?

Nothing in any forward gear is suggestive of a lack of hydraulic pressure. It seems odd though that you have it today. The lack of OD could be something as simple as the 3/4 solenoid being plugged up....The proximity in time to a filter change has be wondering if the proper bolt was used and O rings, but I would have thought THAT would have shown up MUCH sooner. I'd not jump to the conclusion you have a dead trannie just yet...Let me do some thinking, and I'll post more later this evening. I am sure Brain or CJBarron or OperaHouse (or others) may have some ideas too.

When you said it wouldn't move in any gear, did you try reverse also?
I am perplexed by the tranny moving in D, but not OD.....there is one less clutch pack engaged with the OD in 1st gear than when in D in 1st gear, which leaves me scratching my head. Have you checked the engine vacuum? Other than low main control pressure (hydraulic pressure from the transmission pump), I can only think of a vacuum leak causing this problem.

Thanks for getting back to me. When it initally went dead on Saturday, I had no movement in any gear. When I tried again on Sunday it moved foward in drive,1, and 2, and yes the reverse worked as well. But the minute I put it into overdrive and stepped on the acclerator, the engine reved, but the Explorer would not move.
I haven't touched tranny myself,I had a local shop do the fluid and filter change.

Try a stall test in D, 1, 2, and R....that's where you set the bakes hard and give her full throttle for a couple of seconds. Note what RMS the engine tops out at and post back here. Don't stay on the trottle for too long, and shift into neutral for a half minute or minute to let things cool off between shifter positions. Let off the gas if the engine goes above 3500 RPM and just note that it was slipping. This lets us know if 1,2, and R are applying correctly and fully or just partially applying.

I won't be able to get to the vehicle until tomorrow, but will try what you have suggested and get back to you.
Thanks again

Hey gang I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. But the overdrive is completely gone and
if I rev over 2500 rpms in 1-2-r-d, it will not ingage at all. The Mechanic did look it over, and suggested a repacement tranny. Thank you all for your help.

Back