Transmission only uses engine braking sometimes? 6r60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission only uses engine braking sometimes? 6r60

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
i have an 06 4.6l with the 6r60 and something ive noticed is if im using cruise control at lower speeds (30-45) the transmission will sometimes upshift instead of holding the gear and ill have to press the brake, but sometimes it works perfect and it holds the gear and uses engine braking, does anyone else have this problem? is it another effect of the old software? Thanks!

It should really only do it if you have the towing mode on.

I'll have to admit that I don't understand the question.
I don't understand using cruise control at lower speeds and I don't really see where engine braking enters into the equation.
If you use cruise at that speed the Ex will still try to go to sixth gear and lock up the convertor. When the engine lugs too much it will unlock the convertor and select a lower gear if unlocking the convertor doesn't do it.
There is no reason to think that it would hold, say 4th gear, just because the cruise is on?

I'll have to admit that I don't understand the question.
I don't understand using cruise control at lower speeds and I don't really see where engine braking enters into the equation.
If you use cruise at that speed the Ex will still try to go to sixth gear and lock up the convertor. When the engine lugs too much it will unlock the convertor and select a lower gear if unlocking the convertor doesn't do it.
There is no reason to think that it would hold, say 4th gear, just because the cruise is on?
I mean going down a hill, sometimes it uses engine braking and holds the speed, other times it upshifts and starts coasting faster past the set cruise limit. Idk maybe this is normal then haha I just found it weird that it does this.

Back