Transmission or computer?

Cheech_

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
Hi all,

I have a problem with my gears, but not really sure if it is actually the gearbox or the computer sending the wrong info.

2004 explorer 4.6 Limited

When I accelerate normally to 35 - 40 mph (I think that is equivalent to 60kph here in Australia) and then ease to hold that speed, what happens with the gear changes is that first to second to third are fine, but when going to fourth, which happens normally at about the point of easing off as you reach speed, instead of going into 4th, it temporarily goes into neutral. When you get off the gas (because it has jumped into neutral), it then finds fourth. Also, sometimes when just cruising at 35 - 40 mph it jumps out of gear. Again when you get off the gas and back on, it seems to find the gear again.

But, if accelerating to any higher or lower speed, all gear changes are normal and smooth. If I lived in the country and never had to drive at city speeds, you would not even know there was an issue.

I recently had the gearbox serviced, and they said the oil was clean, the bands look good, and there was nothing that looked to be the cause.

Also, clunks into reverse sometimes. But what is interesting is that it never clunks when I first start up to reverse out of the garage. But only clunks when I have been driving and need to hit reverse, such as when at a supermarket.

I don't think I would be very happy if I got a gearbox rebuild and then found the problem still there!

As it goes through stages where it plays up a lot, and then stages where if changes normally mos of the time, I am wondering if it is the signal being sent to the gearbox. It always seems to be better after I have been on a highway trip, or after towing the boat.

The car has a fair few miles. About 120,000. but still running like new (apart from the gear issue).

Hopefully you guys have some ideas or experienced this.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

What to Do?

First, check for "trouble codes" (DTC) which may be stored. Not all codes generate an indication to the driver, such as flashing "O/D OFF" light, for example. The computer bases it's shifting scheduling on various inputs from sensors. If any are mis-behaving, the computer will call that out on a DTC. Unlikely the computer is at fault. I would bet on the unusual circumstances originating within the transmission, possibly, just possibly, shift or pressure control solenoid trouble occurring intermittently, maybe NOT generating codes. imp

Thanks for the lead IMP.

Back