transmission or transfer case no go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission or transfer case no go?

skuee

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer xlt
my 2010 explorer 4.0 xlt was driving along and lost power to wheels, made a noise between a whine and a grind, but the speedometer will rev up to 25 or 30 while it is in gear. had to turn it off to but it in park it would not go just loud grind. drive shaft is not turning. called transmission guy described systems he said it was transfer case gave me a number, so i called him and explained and he told me to call transmission guy. whom shall i take it too. and what could it be? anyone have this happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you put it up on the lift, and put in N first, spin the wheels, and listen where the noise is coming from, we can't tell.
I am confused, did you call 2 transmission guys ?
Usually a tranny shop can deal with transfer cases and differentials as well.

its my understanding that the speed sensor for the 4th gen explorers is in the abs system.... So if you are gettig spedo, mayby the problem is just a broken axle? only visual inspectionc an say for sure....

yes i called the first transmission guy, explained and he said it was transfer case call another guy he knew that did transfer cases so i called him and explained same thing and he said it was transmission and told me to call the other guy, but in N or P it does not make a noise, but i did not try it with the wheels off the ground but no noise while i was pushing it. but once you put it in gear you hear the noise and odometer rises. first transmission guy said odometer cable was on trans tail shaft that is how he knows it is transfer case. you have to shut it off to get it back into P or it grinds like you are trying to but it in park at 25 mph.

You said the drive shaft was not spinning so the problem should be between the transmission and the rear diff. The only thing there is the transfer case. how did you check the drive shaft? i had similar issue but it was the rear differential. The rear seals are very common and if you don't see the wet oil spots on the diff it will drain the fluid over time and eventually destroy the diff and half shaft.

We can only be guessing here. Can you put it up on 4 stands or anything safe, switch to 4HI and put it in gear. Use stethoscope to listen to the tranny, transfer case or rear diff or just observe what's happening under the truck and let us know.

Back