• Register Today It's free!

Transmission or Transfer Case?

destrybarb

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have 99 XLT with 4.0 SOHC and Auto Trans with transfer case. I would recently hear a spinning noise when decelerating. Now today I shifted to park but kept car kept rolling like it was in neutral. I put it in reverse and it just made a bunch of grinding noise. Tried to put it back in park and it made more grinding noise. Went out a couple of hours later and everything shifted fine. Fluid levels are fine, and there are no leaks. I don't know if the transmission would cause these bizarre problems or the transfer case. Is this a common problem and what is the problem. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe post in the tranny section, might bet more help

is the transfer case the normal electric switch or manual?

(moved to Transmissions, Transfer Cases, and Differentials)

Probably the transer case .. but can't really be sure w/o proper inspection.

On the 2nd generation Explorer, often the transfer case's shift fork is bent, or the little white plastic/rubber pads or bushings that interfaces it to a gear are worn out or missing. If the bushings/pads are missing or really worn out, that gear is able to slid out of the rest of the planetary gear set which pretty much puts the vehicle in Neutral. The gear's teeth are also beveled at an angle which kind of helps "kick" this gear out of the planetary set once torque from the engine is applied.

Shift fork with the white rubber pads/bushings and the gear it controls:
shift_fork_slidinggear.jpg

Beveled teeth on the bottomg side of that gear:
4405_plentarygeardown.jpg

I don't know bout 2nd gen transfer cases i just know a 99 f-150 i had driven did that stuff with grinding in gears and it was the transfer case.

the transfercase wasn't sticking in gear for some odd reason

It is a electric shift transfer case and it always seemed to work fine and was never sticking in gear. There is about 120,000 miles on the rig and it runs perfect. The bizaare spinning noise on deceleration has been happening for about a month. It would always quit when I stepped on the throttle. Today was the first time It did it when I shifted to reverse and park would not engage..

I was saying from my experience with an F-150 it could be totally different from yours but sure sounds like something the transfer case would cause.

It is a electric shift transfer case and it always seemed to work fine and was never sticking in gear. There is about 120,000 miles on the rig and it runs perfect. The bizaare spinning noise on deceleration has been happening for about a month. It would always quit when I stepped on the throttle. Today was the first time It did it when I shifted to reverse and park would not engage..

Classic symptoms of a bad t-case. Could be the fork, could be the shift rail itself, could be the shift rail bore issues, but odds are it's the transfer case. It's become an oh-so-common problem on these boards over the last few years.

-Joe

my 95 explorer started doing that "spinning" noise while slowing down too, the 4auto does not work at all same as the 4high, when i put it in 4 low it makes a load crunch noise. and the odd time i will lose reverse, when i do a very loud grinding noise comes from the transfer-case!!! havnt had it for a drive in a long time :(

So did anyone figure out what the problem was?

Where can I find the threads that talk about the rest? Is this problem talked about anywhere else that you know of?

strange grinding noise when starting from stop to turn left

I too have this strange noise on my Explorer(98 XLT awd) seeming to come from the left rear?? but as previous threads have spoken of transfer case problem. Mine did have cv axle replaced and possibly the case (back in '03) at 80,000 miles on it (now at 210,000 mi). It does come and go (the grinding sound) as if the axle splines are not engaging. What is it, and where is that old thread?

Back