transmission or transfer case????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission or transfer case?????

joza

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi all , i have a 97 4x4 explorer wagon , auto , 4.0 0hc.
Im getting like a clunck binding bang noise from the gearbox sometimes when im driving it , usually when cruising above 60kmh and really frequent when doing 80kmh or above , also when putting in reverse it wont engage and i hear a whiring noise like cogs grinding against each other , this also happens when im slowing down after cruising above 80kmh i hear the whiring noise and its like the transmission drops out of gear until i slow right down then the tranny kicks in again and the whiring stops. When parked on my sloped driveway with the handbrake off and the selector in PARK the explorer will roll backwards then catch and stop then roll back again then catch and stop and so on
??
4x4 high and low both engage without a problem and iv looked at fluid lvls in transfer case and tranny and they are both fine. appreciate any suggestions or help, cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cheers for the help , would doing the brown wire mod or taking the front driveshaft out help at all til i can get it replaced?

I don't think that the brown wire mod will help because it is actually a mechanical problem with the TC. If you have the problem described in the link I posted, it will get worse because the gearset in the TC is getting chewed up.

ok so basicaly its screwd and i shouldnt drive it til the TC is replaced , dont suppose you know anyone who wants to send me a working one buy any chance? wreckers in perth western australia want $1700 for a Tc straight out of a wreck with no recon or warranty , FFS i could go buy another whole explorer for only $2000 , are the wrecking yards and 4x4 shops in AUS trying to rip off explorer drivers? seems if its not a ####ing nissan or toyota these ####ers dont want to know you or they want to charge you an arm and a leg for ****.

Ditto. It's the t-case.

Check the 'For Sale' forum on here.... The guy parting out second-gen Explorers can probably make something happen for you. Also note that the only plug-n-play case that you can use is another one from another 97. The 98-01 will not have the speed sensor you need, and the 95-96 cases will have the wrong front output shaft.

Good luck!

#### what a pain in the ass , so i can only use a 97 TC. Is there more than one type of 97 automatic tranny and TC? and if there is how do i tell which one i have? , the dipshit at the wreckers here said there are 3 types of TC's i could have and without looking at it you cant tell the difference. Will have a squiz at the parts for sale section but with shipping included im probly guna pay heaps from you blokes in the USA anyway.
Onyas for the help much appreciated , 99% of the mechanics in perth WA know fukall about explorers.

There is one setup for the V6 engine and one setup for the V8 engine. So you just need to get one for the V6. The transmission is a 5R55E and the TC is a BW (Borg Warner) 4405 aka Control Trac.

In the US, there are a couple of shops that can rebuild the TC including installing inserts where the case is distorted (to save the case), but probably no one knows about this where you are.

The visual differences are pretty obvious:

95-96 cases will have the u-joint front output shaft and a rear output shaft speed sensor mounted on the housing.

97 Cases will have the rear output speed sensor, but will have the front CV joint output.

98-01 cases will have the front CV output, but no speed sensor on the rear output (and no provision for easily installing one either).

Good luck with the search! As mentioned, there are several sources for good replacement parts state-side, but shipping to Oz is gonna get expensive.

Excellent , thanks for the info , you blokes knowledge is priceless.:thumbsup:

Hi just wanted to say thanks again , the problem was definatly the transfer case , i got a second hand one and replaced it and now the explorer runs great. just got to sort out the hard starting problem now.:)

just got to sort out the hard starting problem now.:)

Corrosion under the battery (and starter) cable jackets is common on Explorers, so you might want to check that out. You can use a ohmmeter to check the resistance of the cables.

Back