Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans ,La
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 exp xlt 4x4 4.0
I have the 5r55w just paid 2900 to have it rebuilt
08 explorer 4.0
265k miles
Now it randomly doesnt engage any gear at all 50%of the time..as if in neutral...No codes
Transfer case motor test good. 4x4 works...
Every now and then it will engage suddenly while reving in gear(3000rpm) and jump into gear.. Im not trying to tear up a freshly rebuilt transmission..
Reverse hasnt been right since it went out and was rebuilt.. Returned to shop they replaced torque converter the 1st time claims they rebuilt the unit again..Now its doing this..
Theyre saying transfer case.. I agree but i cant explain why It engages sometime.. Very weird.. It drives and shifts fine when it does decide to work. Shop that rebuilt it says they can't find anything wrong with it.. Hate to put any more money in it but i really love my explorer.
Im looking for a transfer case but i just want to know why it works and randomly i get nothing..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the manual lever level position sensor is off or not engaging.
Take a look at the MLPS, it's on the side of the tranny. Check the cable, and replace that part first maybe. It's not that expensive.

Sounds like the manual lever level position sensor is off or not engaging.
Take a look at the MLPS, it's on the side of the tranny. Check the cable, and replace that part first maybe. It's not that expensive.
Hey thanks.. That definitely makes sense.. Kind of crazy they didn't mention it as a possible cause.. They want to replace the transfer case..

Hey thanks.. That definitely makes sense.. Kind of crazy they didn't mention it as a possible cause.. They want to replace the transfer case..
Screenshot_2020-12-11-19-04-54.png

What are the 2 front and back half?? What are those?

It's a long shot but cheap enough to try. That bang is when it switches from N to D. When I replaced my 5R55S, it would not go when in D, had to wiggle with the gear lever inside the car to engage.

It's a long shot but cheap enough to try. That bang is when it switches from N to D. When I replaced my 5R55S, it would not go when in D, had to wiggle with the gear lever inside the car to engage.
Yes same here. I have to go down to 3 then to d like the linkage is off. But I never tried to adjust it yet thats what i thought we were paying for...

I hope that's all it is...

Back