• Register Today It's free!

transmission pan drain plug

asterus

Reaction score
City, State
sandy hook, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer
Hi evryone, I have a question. Has oneone who has a transmission pan that doesn't have a drain plug, drilled and tapped theirs so that an oil drain plug would fit? I think this would save time and money from now on when changing the transmission fluid.

David Larson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup...I did that a couple of years ago. I got a B & M trans drain plug. Yes it does make the filter job much cleaner. I now only need half the Sundy paper for the job.

Did you just drill and tap the pan, or do you need some sort of nut to back it?

If you do need a nut, can you use JB weld to put it on?

I did it- I still dont understand why the factory cant do this.

I first took a punch and hammer and put a hole in the pan to drain.

Then after the pan was down I went to napa and bought a drain plug.

Drilled the pan to size. Put the plug housing in and brazed it.

Installed my shift kit.

Installed the pan with new filter and new drain plug

and filled with amsoil.

No you just cant tape it. Go to the parts store and buy a drain plug.... it will come with a backing nut. I would recommend brazing it in... Not JB weld..... thaat would crack overtime and leave you leaking. If your going to do it.... DO IT RIGHT!!!

i used the B&M drain plug with the little plastic washer. hasnt leaked yet (2.5 years later) and i didnt braze it. if you EVER take the pan off for any reason, a plug install should be the first thing done IMHO.

I agree with James on this one. Have been using the B&M and Mr. Gasket plugs for years. No problems whatsoever.

I just drilled the pan and used the washer & nut that came w/the plug. Figured B & M ought to know what they were doing since I didnt.

Summit Racing sells the B&M drain plug as well as one from Mr.Gasket

drain plugs

Would the B+M plug be available in local parts stores?

Most parts stores have the drain plug, if not the B&M one they have the same thing in the help section, either one should be under $3.00.
FWIW I have one on all of my auto vehicles, makes it real easy to do fluid changes, and easier to do the filter more often :)

Back