Transmission Pan Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Pan Leak

I have a 2021 Explorer XLT w/2.3 AWD, 11k miles. Yesterday, as I was looking under to see what all is involved in getting to the oil filter, I saw that the Trans pan was wet. Not a full on leak but more like slowly weeping. I looked all around the trans pan and cooler but only the pan from the gasket mating surface down was wet from the front of the pan. I checked the pan bolts and they all were tight, barely got a 1/4 turn on them. Any others see this and should I be concerned?
Closest dealer is 45 minutes away and they SUCK. Last experience I had with them resulted in a 3 month fight getting wheels on my Dually replaced cuz they trashed them while putting new tires on. Clean and monitor or take to dealer 1-1/2 hours away?
I believe weeping might be acceptable and not considered a leak according to ford , but it can be a pain in the ass for the owner , i could be wrong on this but depending on how bad it is .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I see you have a 2001 Sport Trac. Is the pan still the same on the 5th and 6th gen Explorers? Perhaps things changed over the last 20+ years.

Peter
Oh yeah, I'm sure all of that changed over the past 20+ years and it's no longer an issue because all the later generation trans pans are no doubt CNC'd from billet titanium because Ford is so obsessed with doing things the right way rather than doing anything and everything as cheaply as possible. But obviously, some things will NEVER change and you clearly reminded me of that. You reminded me exactly why I stopped posting anything anywhere anytime anymore because exactly as it will forever be, if anyone makes what they think might just be a helpful comment, someone else, with nothing better to do with their time, without fail, will immediately snipe back at them. Well played. You win. The last word is yours. Time for me to log off of here forever.

Oh yeah, I'm sure all of that changed over the past 20+ years and it's no longer an issue because all the later generation trans pans are no doubt CNC'd from billet titanium because Ford is so obsessed with doing things the right way rather than doing anything and everything as cheaply as possible. But obviously, some things will NEVER change and you clearly reminded me of that. You reminded me exactly why I stopped posting anything anywhere anytime anymore because exactly as it will forever be, if anyone makes what they think might just be a helpful comment, someone else, with nothing better to do with their time, without fail, will immediately snipe back at them. Well played. You win. The last word is yours. Time for me to log off of here forever.
Boy talk about getting butt hurt over nothing.

Boy talk about getting butt hurt over nothing.
I certainly didn't expect that kind of response to an honest question. It seems that perhaps Uncle Nick has some other kind of issues.

Peter

Welcome to the club! Ford trans pans are installed at the factory as bare, unpainted steel which rusts and rots through from the outside. Mine emptied itself all over the garage floor a few years back. Wait, WHAT?! Research showed that a new Ford replacement transmission pan would be made the same way. Bare metal. So I ended up buying a repo part from rockauto that not only came powder coated and protected inside and out, but with a drain plug as well and at LITERALLY half the cost! I installed it myself in an afternoon, no big deal. Just clean the old bolts good and do yourself a favor and replace the trans filter since you're going to be in there anyway. Do NOT be intimidated into paying a dealer to repair this. Do it yourself or have a local young gearhead do it for you but either way, steer clear of an original Ford part because they are caca.
The newer vehicles are nothing at all like the old stuff. The pan on this 2021 is a plastic/composite material so I won't have a rusted out pan to deal with. And especially with only 11K miles, I wouldn't expect to pay anything for repairs. I'll keep an eye on it and address if needed.

On another note, the warranty coverage is kind of a crap-shoot. Of all the dealers around me, none would even consider looking at until the end of Feb. This 'New Normal' Sucks!!

The newer vehicles are nothing at all like the old stuff. The pan on this 2021 is a plastic/composite material so I won't have a rusted out pan to deal with. And especially with only 11K miles, I wouldn't expect to pay anything for repairs. I'll keep an eye on it and address if needed.

On another note, the warranty coverage is kind of a crap-shoot. Of all the dealers around me, none would even consider looking at until the end of Feb. This 'New Normal' Sucks!!
Thanks for your post. Now that you mentioned it, I do seem to recall others saying the same thing about the pan on their Explorers.

Peter

Well, I changed the oil yesterday and checked the pan after cleaning it a week ago. Now I can see why it's leaking, it appears to be a crack at one of the bolt holes. See Pic. And still, no one local will even look at it until the end of Feb. I called my trusted previous dealer, 5 1/2 hours away, and they can get me in on Feb. 2nd w/ a loaner reserved. Also I talked to my buddy who is parts manager and he ordered the pan so it will be there. He also mentioned that it is more common than one would think with the plastic pans. Either road hits or over torqued at assembly.
2021 Explorer Pan.JPG

Thanks for getting back with that. I would think it was likely due to overtightening that bolt and it could also be that this pan had a weak spot in that area.

Peter

Well, I changed the oil yesterday and checked the pan after cleaning it a week ago. Now I can see why it's leaking, it appears to be a crack at one of the bolt holes. See Pic. And still, no one local will even look at it until the end of Feb. I called my trusted previous dealer, 5 1/2 hours away, and they can get me in on Feb. 2nd w/ a loaner reserved. Also I talked to my buddy who is parts manager and he ordered the pan so it will be there. He also mentioned that it is more common than one would think with the plastic pans. Either road hits or over torqued at assembly.
View attachment 438299
Well that sucks. Good job on locating the issue. To bad you have to travel so far to get it repaired. Are there any Lincoln dealers closer?

Well that sucks. Good job on locating the issue. To bad you have to travel so far to get it repaired. Are there any Lincoln dealers closer?
Not really, I'd have to travel in to Pittsburgh and who wants that!?!?! I made it a work trip so it's not that bad but still sucks.

Happy to report that I got my Explorer fixed. The trans pan did have a crack as well as a casting blemish that also damaged the gasket. Shoutout to Classic Ford in Mentor, OH. Dropped off at 8:00 am, was put in a Nautilus for loaner. At 11, I got a video from the tech showing what he found and that they already had the pan and gasket ready to swap out. At 2:00, I got the call it was ready to pickup. Sitting inside, nice and clean ready to go! What more can you ask for? Treatment like this made it worth the 5 hour trip.

Back