• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Transmission parts in the pan. Pics inside.

TigerT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Hey guys I need some help here. 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0 4X4 with 285k miles. Transmission has been slipping what seems like 2nd gear for a while and will shift better in the other gears. O/D light flashes from time to time after 15 min of driving. Decided to drop the pan and change the fluid/filter and the valve body gasket to try and remedy the issue. When I dropped the pan I had three pieces laying there. Pics to follow. Not sure what it is? I tried google and it appears maybe part of the parking pawl? Any input would be great. Not a newby to working on cars but a Ford and transmission internals newby. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
So it was driving up until you dropped the pan? Was it holding in park?
This may be better answered in the transmission section. I will move it if you want me to, or it’s fine left here.
Do you know which trans your Ranger has? It would be worth mentioning.

TigerT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Yes it was driving and holding park. Was slipping when I bought it and I changed the selector on the outside of the transmission and drove great for about a month and I parked it for two weeks and started slipping again. It has been driving like that for the last year. I use it primarily as a hunting/farm truck so have been putting off fixing it. Feel free to move it for me if you think I will get more views there. It’s a 5R55E I believe. Thanks man.

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
The bottom two pieces look like band struts, and the piece on top would be the part of the band that the strut sits in.
This would normally indicate a broken band, which would mean that either your intermediate band and possibly servo (2nd & 4th gear) or OD band and possibly servo (3rd and 5th gear) has completely failed.

TigerT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
The bottom two pieces look like band struts, and the piece on top would be the part of the band that the strut sits in.
This would normally indicate a broken band, which would mean that either your intermediate band and possibly servo (2nd & 4th gear) or OD band and possibly servo (3rd and 5th gear) has completely failed.
Thanks. That’s what I was thinking but was hoping wasn’t the case. So I should probably start looking for one at a junkyard or something to pull out and put in?

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Definitely band parts. I'd look for another transmission even though it's a 20$ in broken parts. If you go into it there's a bunch you should replace while your there and it will surpass $500 in parts pretty quickly if you do it right.

TigerT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
When I had the valve body off I could see through a rectangular hole on the driver side where the skinny piece appeared to have been attached by the three tack welds. That’s what led me to believe it was the parking pawl based off my google search. Don’t know if that helps any.

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
When I had the valve body off I could see through a rectangular hole on the driver side where the skinny piece appeared to have been attached by the three tack welds. That’s what led me to believe it was the parking pawl based off my google search. Don’t know if that helps any.
That’s part of a band.
80932BA1-457A-489B-B438-96B25C7447A4.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
black91EB 91 ranger 5spd transmission problem, loose parts Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
T Transmission valve body Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 8
allmyEXes 1999 Ranger-Towing a 3.0 with automatic transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
S 1993 Ford ranger M5R1 3.0 L manual 5spd transmission installation issue Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 10
boominXplorer Calling transmission guru's 4r44e output shaft interchangability Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 7
R ATF+4 in 5-speed Manual Transmission? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 6
R Ranger Transmission swap Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 6
R 4R44E Transmission problem Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
F 1994 B4000 transmission bolt lengths Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
S Transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
1 Transmission binding up Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 5
D While dropping my transmission, is there any other maintenance I should do? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
N Tried my first transmission job, maybe a fail... Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
M 94 mazda b4000 automatic transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
B 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4R44E Transmission O/D OFF light issue. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
W Need help with T-case or Transmission on 94 Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
M 93 Ranger Transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
T 4R44E Transmission Slipping Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
J Transmission issues on my 94 Ranger Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 8
R Removal of transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
B Bad engine or transmission mount feeling. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
M A4LD Transmission Problem Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
D Drivetrain vibration in a 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD with a manual transmission. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
J Transmission Noise Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
V 2000 Ranger Transmission Mystery Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
B 97 Ranger with a manual transmission problem. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
K what years transmission will interchange with 1994 ranger Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
K 94 2.3l 2wd manual transmission problems Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
T Engine/transmission swapping advice is needed. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
big5dogg found out that my ranger has an Eaton transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 10
L 2002 Ranger. 5 speed 4 X 4 transmission leak. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
F 96 Ranger with a 3.0L. Transmission slips in reverse. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
S need a little help Ford Ranger A4LD Automatic Transmission o/d Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 8
T transmission leak from the back,help. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
P Transmission help needed... Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
U 2005 Ranger Edge (Auto) Transmission Shift Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
Turdle Ranger--explorer Transmission crossmember? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 7
G Transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
L help need info transmission Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
R removing transmission? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
G Transmission lock Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
K My transmission will not shift into gear after it was rebuilt. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
P Transmission Question Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 7
T 2000 Ranger Transmission. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 7
D 94 Ranger XLT. Manual transmission problems. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
T 99 Ranger Transmission Mount Issues PLEASE HELP Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
Willard Which transmission? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
W 1990 Ranger A4LD transmission. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
A Soft Clutch after Clutch and Transmission Repair Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
R 1st to 2nd transmission shift problems Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 7