• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem also

johndavid24

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer
The engine in my son in laws 2005 explorer has been removed to replace the rear main seal and a couple other leaks, my question is....can I get to the reverse band while the engine is out? And some of the other transmission wear parts will also be replaced

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine in my son in laws 2005 explorer has been removed to replace the rear main seal and a couple other leaks, my question is....can I get to the reverse band while the engine is out? And some of the other transmission wear parts will also be replaced
welcome to EF! afaik the trans at least in the 2g has to come out to replace the reverse band

I've watched some teardown videos of the trans and it looks like it can be done, unless I'm missing something

That's crazy that someone would remove an engine to fix some leaks. Lol to each his own I guess. I'm honestly hoping you meant to say they removed the transmission. Anyway... you have to remove the transmission and break it completely down on the inside to get to the reverse band because the reverse band is all the way at the back, inside the transmission. I would not suggest you try unless you have rebuilt an automatic transmission before, or you're just extremely good at taking things apart and putting them back together. If you do, I recommend you download the technical service manual. Click here.

Screenshot_20220923-023927_Samsung Notes.jpg

That's crazy that someone would remove an engine to fix some leaks. Lol to each his own I guess. I'm honestly hoping you meant to say they removed the transmission. Anyway... you have to remove the transmission and break it completely down on the inside to get to the reverse band because the reverse band is all the way at the back, inside the transmission. I would not suggest you try unless you have rebuilt an automatic transmission before, or you're just extremely good at taking things apart and putting them back together. If you do, I recommend you download the technical service manual. Click here.

View attachment 434727
If it had to be done, will the od and intermediate band come out with the trans in? I've rebuilt gm 350,400,4l60e's and Chrysler a604's ,727's and 904's. Just never a Ford, probably about the same, and if so I think the band can be replaced with the engine out transmission in. Me and the owner are just thinking about that.

If it had to be done, will the od and intermediate band come out with the trans in? I've rebuilt gm 350,400,4l60e's and Chrysler a604's ,727's and 904's. Just never a Ford, probably about the same, and if so I think the band can be replaced with the engine out transmission in. Me and the owner are just thinking about that.
The thing is, he knows that the band can break and he wants it replaced, I told him I can probably do it now with the trans in, if I explained everything.....I'm kind of hungry too,lol

I mean, I guess I should have worded my response a bit differently. You can completely break down the entire transmission without removing it if you have the engine out. But with the engine already out, it would just be so much easier to just pull the transmission out if your going to go into it. So, technically, yes you can pull any band you want without removing the transmission if you have the engine out, but if it were me, I'd definitely just pull the transmission and get it on a table or something where you can easily work on it. But again, to each his own.

Back