Transmission problem in reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem in reverse

cnp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I have a 96 EB 4WD (6 cyl), and all was well until last night I put it in reverse with rpm's a little too high so it clunked into gear, but immediately made a grinding noise as I reversed, and felt like it was dragging/underpowered (as if the brakes were on), and the o/d light started flashing. All forward gears were fine and smooth, but repeated reversing attempts were met with the same symptoms of poor transfer of power and a rumble, soft grind. Due to the immediate symptoms, it sounds like something broke when I shifted - thoughts on where to start? I have done plenty of engine repair, but trannys are new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check tranny fluid level.

manual first?

If there is a flashing transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) then check for diagnostic trouble codes.

Do you have the 5R55E? If so, do you have the same symptoms when you select "1" but not in "D"? If so, there may be a problem with the low/reverse band.

If there is a flashing transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) then check for diagnostic trouble codes.

Do you have the 5R55E? If so, do you have the same symptoms when you select "1" but not in "D"? If so, there may be a problem with the low/reverse band.

96 Explorers use the 4r44e automatic.

Well, I think the transmission is a 4R55E. So, I go check the vehicle out the next day to see if 1 low was also affected, but not only was the o/d light off, everything was working perfectly. Reverse was completely normal - smooth engagement, no slipping or rumble noticed, 1 low was just fine, etc. Like nothing happened. I doubt I will be this lucky, and may need an overhaul at some point (only 120k miles), but we shall see. Thanks for the replies none-the less (and yes, transmission fluid level was fine).

Back