Transmission problem need help ASAP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem need help ASAP

Stick4503

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 & 2004Explorer 4x4
I have a 2004 Explorer with 5r55w tranny. Did some work so it was completely drained of fluid. Trans removed from vehicle, new pump, new converter, cooler flushed.

Refilled with new#fluid 12 - 13 quarts. Some was spilled, some left behind in pump for filling.

Now have a whine / growl at shift change. with somewhat of hard shift.

Followed refill procedure.

Now have placed temporary clear tube in cooler line. I have bubbles when vehicle is in gear.

Is this a sign of over or under filled with fluid.

Refill was done with#warm#running#vehicle. I had a steady drip from fill port in pan.

What do you#think? Over or under filled?

Overfilling shouldn't have any effect on the transmission performance or create any noises, low fluid can cause noises. Noise during the shifts only is something I am not familiar with on that transmission, and I have never installed a clear line to check for bubbles, so I can't be much help there.

When you replaced the pump did you use a tool to line up the pump or at least use the converter itself to line up the pump before bolting the pump halves together?

A misaligned pump can cause noises, but it tends to create noises at all times.

The pump came pre assembled with the plastic alignment tool still in place. I simply bolted it to the bell housing by aligning it with the gasket and mounting holes.

I drained a little more fluid today while it was running but after a good drive with shifts through all gears. Noise is a little quieter now.

Will continue to watch for a bit then take to tranny shop for general diagnostics as needed.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Back