• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem

Xplorer95

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have a '95 xlt with 4.0 and auto tranny. Not long ago, after doing a lot of interstate driving, I noticed that the RPM's would sparatically jump up and then go back down. It was like pushing the clutch in a little and letting it out. So after posting it here, I came to the conclusion that the problem was my torque converter. For a temporary fix, I added Lucas transmission treatment before my next interstate drive. At first, there was no difference. But about 30 minutes into the trip I noticed the RPM's seemed to be steady and in sync with my speed. A little later, It started messing up switching between 3 and 4 (overdrive) gears. When it was in overdrive and needed to shift to 3rd (because I started going uphill) it wouldn't shift, so I pushed the "OD off" button. I shifted REAL hard to 3rd, rattling the hole car. It kept messing up in shifting between 3rd and OD untill about an hour into the trip when I noticed that it wasn't shifting into OD at all. And thats where I am now. Any torque converter slip that was there is not gone or not as obvious since the addition of Lucas, but I don't have OD anymore. Whats the deal?

It sounds like what you did was to melt together the OD sprag and blow the planetary gears. That's exactly what mine did, and that is what I found once I got inside it.

Sorry - but you will likely need a total rebuild.

A cheaper alternative might be to purchase a reman unit from someone like Phoniex Transmissions - they are on eBay. I got mine there and it was reasonable in price - and they stand behind their warranty - mine has since failed and they are taking care of it.

anybody else have this problem? did u have to rebuild your tranny

Back